Department: School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science
Reports to: Dean of the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science
Status: Faculty rank; continuing-status track
Time commitment: Full-time; 11-month faculty faculty appointment
Start date: July 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a continual basis and will close April 2021.
Fresno Pacific University is a faith-based, Hispanic Serving Institution located in the San Joaquin Valley of California. The Social Work program makes a significant contribution to the field in the Central Valley, helping students develop generalist social work practice skills.
The department is looking for an Assistant Professor of Social Work who can teach across the curriculum spectrum included in a generalist education. Candidates must be able to teach in the evenings in the Degree Completion format, which includes hybrid, blended six-week courses. The candidate may also be asked to teach in the Traditional Undergraduate (TUG) format, which includes day courses. The faculty member will be expected to engage in scholarly activity, curriculum development, and contribute to ongoing program assessment and evaluation.
- Doctorate in social work or related field; An MSW from a CSWE-accredited university is required for this position. An MSW without a doctorate may be considered; however, faculty are required to have, or be willing to complete, a terminal degree;
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- Knowledge of technology/learning management systems;
- Experience or aptitude for outstanding college-level teaching;
- Minimum of five years post-Master’s experience in the social work/human services profession;
- Interest and experience in online development for hybrid courses;
- Demonstrated cultural humility and capacity to understand and advance equity and diversity in the educational environment;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the university’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning, and involvement in a local church;
- Evidence of scholarly contributions to the field of social work;
- Teaching experience in a college setting, preferably with adult learners;
- Familiarity with the Latino community, as well as the ethnic and socio-economic diversity of the Central Valley;
- Experience with CSWE accreditation;
- Ability ethically to integrate Christian faith in the field of social work education.
Dependent on qualifications and experience, paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file toDr. Ron Herms
Dean, School of Humanities, Religion and Social Sciences
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue, Box 2301
Fresno, CA 93702
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.