Department: School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Sciences
Time commitment: Full-time, with faculty rank; pending budgetary approval, this is a continuing status track, 9-month faculty appointment
Start date: August 2018
Fresno Pacific University is situated in the vibrant theater community of Fresno and its surroundings, with the potential to influence theater artists and innovators of the 21st century. The Theater program shapes individuals to serve community and church by providing courses and opportunities in a range of areas, such as performance, theater history and literature, technical theater, drama-in-education, and drama as ministry. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to nurture the new Theater major, working with a team of colleagues to further the mission of the program.
Possible specialties include Acting, Directing, Theater History, Dramatic Literature, Performance Studies, and Applied Theater. The successful candidate will have a vision for the role of Theater in a Christian Liberal Arts context, working with a diverse population of students from a variety of disciplines in both curricular and extra-curricular settings.
- Oversee the Theater program and production season;
- Teach courses in multiple areas;
- Direct one to two productions a year;
- Recruit students into the program;
- Pursue an active scholarly agenda.
- PhD in Theater or Performance Studies, or MFA in Acting or Directing;
- Mentor and advise theater majors (as well as general education students);
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- Experience or aptitude for program administration, including supervision of staff and adjunct faculty, ongoing program assessment and evaluation, and advising students;
- Experience or aptitude for outstanding college-level teaching;
- Experience or aptitude for directing productions;
- Evidence of strengths in recruitment and developing networks in the Fresno-area theater community;
- Aptitude for interdisciplinary collaborations such as the staged reading series, musicals, and religious drama team;
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Interest and/or experience in online development for hybrid courses;
- Understanding of the field of theater in relation to the broader faith and arts movement;
- Evidence of semi-professional or professional theater experience, or academic publications;
- Background in theater in the church / arts-based worship;
- Experience with drama-in-education and/or familiarity with Visual and Performing Arts standards for K-12 education.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.