Department: University Communications and Marketing
Reports to: Events Manager
Time commitment: 40 hours per week
The Information and Events Coordinator is a full-time position within the University Communications & Marketing division of Fresno Pacific University. The primary job functions include:
- Managing the university switchboard and Information Center
- Overseeing coordination of overall university scheduling
- Overseeing coordination of university-wide communications
- Assisting the Events Manager with providing oversight for and coordination of university events
- Serving the general university and external constituents in an events consultant capacity
This position interfaces directly with internal event resources including (but not limited to) Food Services, Facilities, Campus Safety, University Communications & Marketing, Advancement, IT Services and Athletics.
The Information/Events Coordinator will provide initial training and consultation services to other areas of the university that plan events. Event implementation is the responsibility of the hosting area. Additionally, this position will interface directly to external constituents who request to utilize Fresno Pacific University’s facilities.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church, and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision, and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students, and guests.
- Staffing and supervising student workers (5-6 students) at the Switchboard/Information Center. This includes hiring students as needed, training (both new and refresher) on software and university knowledge and work-specific computer programs, scheduling students to work based on their class schedules and availability, supervising students and providing them with information and resources necessary to perform at the Switchboard, being able to troubleshoot phone software quickly so that potential calls are not missed.
- Providing Switchboard as relief operator when students are unable to fill the shifts.
- Providing continual customer service training and safety training to Events & Information Office student staff
- Providing managerial support for Events Assistant(s) on staff
- Coordinating temporary parking permit passes with Campus Safety
- Overseeing name badge orders which includes coordinating with switchboard staff to log orders, receiving fulfilled orders and coordinating pickup/delivery of name badges along with processing name badge invoices
- Overseeing proofing and pick up of university business cards for employees
- Overseeing Squawk Box (a bi-weekly email communication sent out to employees). This includes collecting notes to be published, composing Squawk Box (with basic HTML knowledge), proofing of Squawk Box, sending out Squawk Box (twice weekly)
- Administering Astra (the University’s room reservation online system) which includes confirming room request reservations, keeping resources up to date, keeping contacts and customer groups up to date, keeping announcements up to date, pulling and generating reports from the system as needed, providing Astra support for university employees
- Overseeing the University’s master calendar. Working closely with key departments to ensure information is accurate and up to date.
- Overseeing specialty advertising item requests which includes gathering quotes and finding best price/quality, gathering / artwork, routing and approving proofs, disbursing items to requestor, invoicing.
- Overseeing content and functionality on the Apple TV in the McDonald Hall Atrium (main administration building)
- Planning, implementing and overseeing university events
- Having sound knowledge of the university spaces and rooms, their capacities and capabilities on the main campus
- Participating in creative planning of university events at a level of quality that continues to support and enhance the university’s image
- Developing and carrying out effective policies and procedures for events consistent with the brand promise and mission of the university
- Working directly with: Food Services, Facilities, Campus Safety, University Communications & Marketing, Advancement, IT Services and Athletics.
- Food Services: serve as liaison between food services and event host. Coordinate and communicate catering details.
- Facilities: serve as liaison between Facilities and event host. Coordinate special set up/cleaning/tear down needs.
- Assisting with set up and tear downs as needed. (this can often include setting up tables/chairs/etc…)
- Campus Safety: serve as a liaison between Campus Safety and event host. Coordinate parking/security/other special needs
- University Communications & Marketing: sharing event information; keeping university image/brand/mission represented in events
- Advancement: Foster a regular working relationship, as many of our university events need to reflect our image/brand/mission that our alumni and donors support.
- IT Services: serve as liaison between IT Services and event host. Coordinate IT staffing for technical troubleshooting and assistance at events.
- Serve as liaison to external constituents who wish to utilize Fresno Pacific University’s facilities as an event/meeting/conference/camp venue. This includes meeting with event host, drafting an event contract, collecting payment and liability insurance documents, coordinating event staffing/facilities/catering/campus safety to be present as needed. This will also require you to be on site when external groups utilize campus facilities. This can occur on evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Moderate to advanced technology skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours when necessary (including some current pre-determined dates)
- Ability to successfully troubleshoot technology when problems arise
- FPU alum/familiarity of the main campus (not required, but highly preferred)
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Word and Excel
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation and the ability to handle multiple proprieties and complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to assist with set up of events when needed. This includes but is not limited to setting up/moving tables, chairs, etc… This also includes retrieving event supplies from storage which can be physically demanding.
- Mobility within the office. Ability to use hands and fingers, to handle office equipment, records and files. Occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel or crouch. Vision abilities required by this job include the ability to read and discern written data on paper and electronic documents. Ability to talk and hear.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.