Reports to: Building Maintenance Supervisor
Time commitment: 40 hours per week
The Building Maintenance Technician/Woodworker performs a variety of semi-skilled work in the fabrication of furnishings and cabinetry, and the maintenance, repair and remodeling of buildings and housing under the general direction of the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students and guests.
- Design and fabricate furniture and cabinetry including desks, bookcases and dorm furniture.
- Repair furniture, cabinetry and other woodwork.
- Conduct research and purchase required materials and parts.
- Evaluate and respond to routine and emergency calls for repairs and service.
- Train and supervise student workers and others as requested in the woodworking trade.
- Serve and assist as back-up to other Facilities employees.
- Maintain safe operation of a variety of hand and power tools, vehicles and equipment.
- Represent the University and manage a professional and active relationship with students, employees, university departments and contractors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years journey-level experience in the building trades or three years journey-level experience as a cabinet maker. Finish carpentry experience desired.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment and make decisions with minimal direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public, faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to work from a work order system with a minimal supervision and maintain records.
- Ability to effectively train and direct others including student workers.
- Be versatile and adaptable; willing to be on-call and respond to after-hours emergencies, and to work a 5 – day work week that may include Saturdays and/or overtime.
- Possession of a valid Class “C” California driver’s license, excellent driving record and personal history.
- Three years journey-level experience as a commercial cabinet builder.
- Exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least eighty percent (80%) of the time.
- Frequent use of a computer.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Candidates must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of the position without hazard to themselves or others.
- Moderate-to-heavy lifting (up to 75 pounds).
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, bending, kneeling, reaching and working at heights and in confined spaces.
- Ability to safely operate hand and power tools and equipment including forklifts and man lifts.
- Must possess dexterity of hands and fingers to operate tools and equipment, near and far visual acuity and depth perception and the ability to hear and speak at normal levels to communicate with others.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Send Completed Applications To
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.