Department: Network Services Department
Reports to: Manager of Network Services
Time commitment: 40 hours per week
The Network Services Technician assists in the operation of Fresno Pacific University network and server resources. The Network Services Technician troubleshoots technology at all campuses and provides preventative maintenance, identifying issues and trends proactively and working to resolve issues before they affect operations or users. This position works very closely with others in the Network Services team and the rest of the Information Technology Services department. In this position, the Network Services Technician must have very strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and excellent judgment on issues that must be brought to the attention of the team. Based upon the need to support a variety of technology equipment, networks and servers, the duties will often be changed or modified to match the technology and current project workloads. This is a University position not limited by campus or location – however, this position is based on the Main Campus.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Continuous commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Configure and deploy routers, switches, firewalls, servers, and other hardware.
- Assist in configuration, maintenance, backup, and application of best practices to network devices
- Perform operating systems upgrades and patches as assigned, and only during regularly scheduled maintenance windows.
- Monitor and report systems and network utilization. Assist in the development of plans for needed network and server upgrades using data-driven analysis.
- Assist in the administration and maintenance of DHCP, DNS, and IP address allocation for FPU network.
- Assist in assuring proper security of network and server access and by adhering to established best practices for security and recovery procedures.
- Assist in generating and installing PKI certificates for use by web servers and other secure communications means.
- Be able to terminate network cabling required for wired and wireless network infrastructure.
- Assist in defining long-range strategies to plan and provide for network capacity and appropriate functionality to support network growth and new applications.
- Assess existing, new technologies and information resources to identify those worthy of additional research, planning and possible implementation.
- Respond promptly to all assigned open work orders within the department’s ticketing system and discern when additional help or escalation is needed to resolve a specific support request.
- Maintain a general working knowledge of FPU’s common computing tools, network and server infrastructure as it relates to the regional campuses, and other hardware and software.
- Develop and maintain clear and complete detailed documentation on all technology equipment in use including personal computing, network, interactive video, telephony and servers.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in network systems implementation and operations.
- Knowledge of computing networks for voice, video and data and have a general understanding of the Information Technology industry.
- Ability to make mature decisions, ability to plan and schedule work, ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies.
- Work with minimum supervision.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Must be able to handle and work with interruptions during normal office hours.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively in a warm professional manner.
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation, and the ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the OSI layer model for purposes of troubleshooting and design.
- Ability or capacity to learn how to subnet and maintain an established IP addressing scheme.
- The chosen applicant must work toward achieving (unless the certification is already held) the Cisco CCNA to remain employed in this position.
- Must have an attitude conducive to continuous lifelong learning and participate in professional development activities to remain relevant to the everchanging trends of the IT industry.
- Networking level certification or training such as CCNA, CCENT, Network+, etc.
- Experience with Aruba Network switches, Palo Alto Firewalls, and Aerohive wireless APs.
- Ability to touch type 30-40 words per minute.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequent work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions. Will require multitasking skills.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Mostly indoor environment with some occasions of outdoor work.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Approximately 90% of this position’s duties require use of a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to climb ladders occasionally and mount network equipment such as wireless bridges, enclosures, etc.
- Must be able to install equipment into network racks safely and without disrupting existing equipment.
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Download and complete an application form. Candidates must complete and submit an application in order to be considered for the position.
Send completed applications to:
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.