Department: School of Education
Reports to: Dean in the School of Education
Status: Faculty rank; non-continuing status track (non-tenure); clinical position
Time commitment: Full-time, 11-month faculty appointment
Start date: July 1, 2019
The Division of Teacher Education at FPU is committed to preparing highly qualified new multiple subjects and single subject teachers who are equipped to teach in the diverse communities throughout the Central Valley. The programs are offered on the university’s home campus in southeast Fresno and at two regional campuses Visalia and Merced. The programs have been offered at FPU’s regional campus in Merced since 2013.
The Director of the Teacher Education program will lead and manage the multiple and single subject credential programs at the Merced Campus and teach in the program. The Director will work with campus staff to develop partnerships with local schools and collaborate with educational leaders throughout the Merced area. The teaching credential programs in Merced benefit from a partnership with the University of California at Merced. The Directors of the UC Merced CalTeach program work closely with the Chair of the Division of Fresno Pacific’s Teacher Education program and the Director of Teacher Education at the Merced Campus to achieve the goals of this University Partnership which is guided by a Memo of Understanding.
- Provide leadership and management to all aspects of the multiple subjects and single subject programs at the Merced Campus;
- Work collaboratively with the Chair of the Division of Teacher Education and other program directors within the division to develop a high-quality, dynamic, teacher education program that targets the needs of K-12 schools, students, and teachers in the Central Valley;
- Recruit, support, and collaborate with adjunct teaching faculty and student teaching supervisors;
- Develop and sustain dynamic relationships with local school leaders and other educational agencies for the purpose of securing high quality student teaching placements and contributing to the overall educational vitality of Merced and Stanislaus Counties;
- Work alongside FPU and UC Merced personnel to recruit students to the program;
- Teach in the program (teaching assignment is dependent on candidate’s experience, research interests and program needs);
- Organize ongoing professional development and participation in teacher preparation professional organizations, and agencies;
- Maintain professional memberships and professional development;
- Advise and admit new students;
- Manage all aspects of the credential program at the regional campus, including, but not limited to
- Scheduling courses;
- Organizing and facilitating outreach events;
- Organizing and facilitating all program events;
- Completing all program assessments as required by the divisional leadership;
- Developing and maintaining the program’s website;
- Managing student difficulties in a collaborative approach.
- MA in Education or related field;
- Record of successful experience teaching and/or leading in K-12 schools;
- Evidence of successful experience teaching college or post-BA students;
- Evidence of experience and effectiveness in managing individuals in a busy, complex work environment;
- Ability to work with students, staff, and faculty in a collegial environment;
- Ability to multi-task, solve problems and resolve conflicts;
- Ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds;
- Information oriented computer skills;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Terminal degree (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) in education or related field;
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- Familiarity with, and/or experience working in, the field of teacher education;
- Knowledge of a language other than English (Spanish preferred);
- Membership in a Mennonite Brethren or Anabaptist congregation.
Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA-CREF), Section 125 options.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:Gary Gramenz, Dean
School of Education, Box 2001
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR email email@example.com
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.