Job Title: Provost/Senior Vice President
Department: Office of the Provost
Reports To: President
Time Commitment: 40+ hours per week
The Provost/Senior Vice President is the chief academic officer and is responsible for all aspects of academic and intellectual life. The position coordinates and sustains collaborative leadership in accomplishing the educational mission of the university as expressed in the Fresno Pacific Idea and mission statement. The position reports to the President and serves as the first among equals among the university’s vice presidents. Serves as acting president in the absence or incapacity of the president. The Provost/Senior Vice President is responsible to the President for ensuring that the President is well-informed, for implementing presidential directions and institutional plans, and for the effective leadership and management of all the internal affairs of the university that are not otherwise under direct presidential supervision.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church, and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision, and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students, and guests.
- Provide intellectual and academic leadership for the university’s educational mission.
- Articulate the academic mission and vision of the institution.
- With the President’s approval, hire, direct, develop, and evaluate the following senior level positions:
- Academic Deans (excluding the dean of the Seminary)
- Vice President of Student Life
- VP for Finance and Business Affairs except for development and implementation of the overall university budget
- VP of Enrollment and Student Services
- VP for Integrated Marketing
- Director of the Library
- With the President’s approval and in cooperation with the Academic Deans hire and evaluate the faculty of the university.
- Chair the Executive Cabinet, the Academic Cabinet, and any other necessary groups.
- Work with the various board committees directly and through the respective Vice Presidents.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Leadership and Planning Committee.
- Oversee academic personnel functions and advise the CFO on academic budget priorities.
- Ensure effective institutional planning and evaluation that supports a university culture of robust Christian higher education that satisfies external accrediting and other regulatory bodies and that achieves the institutional mission, purposes, values, goals, and standards.
- Ensure that the academic, enrollment, financial, student life, and operations goals are wisely set and consistently achieved.
- Encourage shared governance among the many stakeholders of the university.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University
- Earned doctorate in an appropriate discipline.
- Record of successful leadership and administrative experience as the head of a major academic unit.
- Demonstrated excellence as a college/university teacher and/or evidence of scholarly achievement.
- Commitment to and understanding of co-curricular activities.
- Demonstration of and commitment to integration of Christian faith and learning.
- Clear understanding of and commitment to the evangelical, Anabaptist theological distinctive and mission of the university, including its foundation in the Anabaptist Believers’ Church tradition.
- Commitment to the value of diversity and interdisciplinary approaches in higher education.
- Ability to work collaboratively in an environment of shared governance.
- Evidence of financial planning and management skills.
- Ability to effectively represent the institution to its various constituencies.
- Successful experience with accreditation processes.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Proficient at multitasking.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 90% of this position’s duties require use of a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 3,700 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 35 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno & the San Joaquin Valley: a Place of Possibilities
Fresno is the heart of the San Joaquin Valley, the nation’s leading agricultural area. But the city—fifth largest in California and largest in the Valley—also enjoys a burgeoning tech scene, music, theater, museums and cultural venues and Triple-A baseball’s Fresno Grizzlies, 2015 champions of the Pacific Coast League. Continuing urban renovation promises more benefits, including a hub for California’s high-speed rail, bringing the Bay Area and Los Angeles, now just hours away, even closer. Also in easy driving distance are three national parks, including the iconic Yosemite, as well as beautiful beaches and the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada.
Always a multicultural center, the region’s rich mix of 80 nationalities make this metropolitan community of 930,517 people a true cultural mosaic.
More information on Fresno
Applications, Nominations & Inquiries
The Provost/Senior Vice President Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue work until an appointment is made. To assure full consideration, application materials should be received by March 27. Applications must include a letter of interest (not more than three pages) that addresses the relevancy of applicant’s background and experience to each of the topics identified in the “Agenda for the New Provost” section of the Profile, curriculum vitae and five professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
Send completed applications to:
Applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to:
Please direct nominations and inquiries to:
Paul R. Corts, Ph.D., Senior Consultant, AGB Search
email@example.com | 571-243-8709
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.