Reports to: James Van Slyke
Time commitment: 10 hours per week
The research assistant will assist with the empirical part of the grant project through the collection of data, supervising student researchers, and helping to write some of the sections of early drafts of the empirical research article. They will assist in collecting data at different Fresno Pacific University campuses. They will assist in the construction of a database based on the empirical findings. They will collect articles and construct literature reviews on sexual selection, long-term mating strategies. They will collect articles and do research on how marriage functions in various religious contexts. They will assist in the execution of the research project relating long-term mating strategies to religion. They will act as discussion leaders for some of the weekly research meetings reviewing the topics relevant to the science and religion issues implicit in the research study. They will assist in collecting data on relevant science and religion issues pertinent for our campus and assist in the selection of different topics and speakers. They will meet with different campus leaders to help boost the profile for the religion and science club and devise ways to get more members of the university community to participate. They will help collect sources relevant for the science and religion club on campus and help organize the speakers for the club as well as secure a regular meeting location and logistics. The will assist in the administration of the grant and help with various budget and reporting duties.
- Conduct literature reviews
- Collect and analyze data
- Help with development of survey and experimental design
- Recruit and/or interview subjects
- Maintain accurate records of the data
- Manage and respond to project related email regarding the science and religion club
- Supervise undergraduate students working on the research project (maintaining records on assignment completion, acting as liaison/mediator between the undergraduate students and the faculty researcher)
- Attend project meetings
- Attend area seminars and other meetings as necessary
- Help in the Preparation of progress reports
- Help in the Preparation of articles, reports and presentations
- Identify and compile lists of potential research subjects in accordance with study objectives and parameters, as appropriate to the individual position
- Conduct and record face-to-face and/or telephone interviews with subjects, in accordance with predetermined interview protocol, data collection procedures and documentation standards
- Review and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follow up with subjects to resolve problems or clarify data collected
- Help in promoting science and religion club on campus
- Help in setting up speakers and meetings for the club
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students and guests.
- Interest in developing a research program
- Prior experience in conducting research
- Organizational skills
- Willingness to provide leadership to students
- Attendance at weekly research meetings
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in psychology or related field
- Evidence of scholarly contributions during undergraduate studies
- Potential for further graduate study
- Prior experience using SPSS
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation
- Proficient at multitasking.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 90% of this position’s duties require use of a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Download and complete an application form. Candidates must complete and submit an application in order to be considered for the position.
Send completed applications to
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.