Department: Campus Safety
Reports to: Director of Campus Safety
Time commitment: 28 hours per week
The primary security guard responsibility is providing for the protection of life and property on the university. This may be accomplished by foot patrol of campus roadways, walkways, parking lots, administrative and academic buildings.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Exhibit unfaltering commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Patrols university property, on foot, to provide security to regional campus building.
- Performs physical security checks of campus facilities, ensuring facilities are in used by appropriate personnel.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency radio calls.
- Be available and ready at any point during duty shift to respond to community needs.
- Observes, reports, and identifies persons involved in suspicious activities or manners. Ensures that unauthorized persons leave the university and community.
- Enforces university policies, regulations, and municipal, state and federal laws. Assists local law enforcement as necessary.
- Conducts thorough investigations as assigned and completes detailed reports
- Assists Student Life and Residence Life personnel as required. Provides on-campus escorts to university students and personnel as requested.
- Mandated Campus Security Authority (CSA) Reporter under the Federal Jeanne Clery Act.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary under the guidance of the Chief, via Chain of command
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University
- Must have a valid California driver license and the ability to operate all equipment in the campus safety vehicle.
- Must be very proactive.
- Must have excellent customer service skills.
- Must have excellent critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Must have strong human relations skills with the ability to interact positively with a diverse university population, and the ability to develop and implement problem solving techniques within the institution.
- Must be team oriented.
- Must have the physical ability to assist with the rescue of sick and injured persons on campus.
- Must be able to function on foot patrol and make physical arrests when necessary.
- Must maintain a lifestyle in consonance with sound Christian principles and those adopted by the institution.
- Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather for extended periods of time.
- Must undergo and pass the department administered oral interview.
- Must submit to and pass the Human Resources testing and interview process.
- Must submit to and pass a thorough personal and criminal background investigation.
- Must be able to successfully secure a Security Guard card issued by the California Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS).
- Must be able to successfully complete the PC 832 (powers of arrest) course.
- Must be able to successfully secure the appropriate BSIS certifications for the carry of pepper spray and baton (straight, side-handle and collapsible).
- Must be able to successfully pass and complete an American Red Cross First aid/CPR and AED certification course.
- Each candidate must be at least 20 years of age by the date of hire.
- Additionally, candidate must successfully pass the criminal background check process.
- Completion of California basic or modular POST level I/II, or III academy. Must be within the last three to five years.
- Previous work experience in a University public safety department or law enforcement agency
- Pleasant office setting.
- Varied weather conditions when involved in outdoor duties.
- Ability to walk long distances, bicycle, run, climb, stoop, bend, stand for long periods of time.
- Lift up to 50 lbs. over head.
- Possess the physical strength to restrain, control, and handcuff a combative person.
- Be able to work and adjust to varied work shifts and climates.
$12.00 Per Hour
Send Completed Applications To
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.