Department: Regional Campus
Reports to: Regional Campus Assistant Director of Advising
Time commitment: 40 hours per week
The Academic Advisor is a key player in the retention and persistence of our Degree Completion students. We are seeking an individual who has strong interpersonal communication skills, a passionate commitment to exemplary customer service, is highly organized and can manage multiple tasks and a varied workload. If you enjoy connecting with people and find satisfaction and enjoyment in helping others reach their goals, this position as an Academic Advisor may be a perfect fit for you!
The Degree Completion Academic Advisor interviews and advises students regarding information, procedures, and academic requirements of a specific program or major. The advisor assists students in exploring careers, evaluating academic abilities, and setting goals through an Appreciative Advising process. In addition, the Advisor monitors student academic progress, prepares advising materials, communicates deadlines and important information, and walks the student through to successful completion of their degree.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church, and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision, and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students, and guests.
- Provide outstanding customer service for our students, faculty and University staff
- Meet with students one-on-one to assess the student’s stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promote student growth by determining suitable developmental tasks
- Assist students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals through an appreciative advising process
- Identify options for student to satisfy degree requirements; evaluate and make recommendations on petitions and amendments to student’s program of study
- Monitor student’s academic progress; determine eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree
- Interpret and explain college and university policies and procedures
- Assists student’s with registration and Campus Cruiser
- Follow up on student petitions, forms, and questions
- Regularly meet with students and communicate all important information such as dates, deadlines and changes
- Work closely with faculty and student service areas to help meet the needs of the student
- Run regular degree evaluations to assess student’s progress
- Respond in a timely manner to all student inquires through phone, walk-in and email messages
- Track and maintain student records through Salesforce
- Help to update and maintain current information in Moodle Advising shell
- Willing to work one to two evenings a week/ occasional weekends
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Must have a BSW or MSW
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Commitment to the mission of the university
- MSW degree.
- One to two years’ experience in a university setting.
- Ability to communicate goal setting, time management and academic progress.
- Knowledge of Appreciative Advising.
- Experience with Datatel and Salesforce.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequent computer uses at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Proficient at multitasking.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision-making.
- Approximately 50% of this position’s duties require use of a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Based at the Regional Campus of Fresno Pacific University, with local and regional travel required.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience. Fresno Pacific University offers a suite of benefits for all active, full-time employees including health insurance, tuition benefits, and competitive retirement options.
Download and complete an application form. Candidates must complete and submit an application in order to be considered for the position.
Send completed applications to
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 3,700 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 35 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.