Department: Business Office
Reports to: Director of Budget and Internal Reporting
Time commitment: 40 hours per week
The Staff Accountant serves as an essential part of the Business Office team of the University, assisting in areas of accounting and budgeting to ensure compliance with GAAP and other regulations and polices unique to higher education and non-profit organizations.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Exhibit unfaltering commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Support Director of Budget with annual budgets to ensure a timely process
- Assist Director of Budget with monthly monitoring of budget-to-actuals to control expenses
- Assist Director of Budget with creation and revision of internal budget reports as required
- Assist with gathering historical data as requested by Budget Managers
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist with annual audit schedules
- Review all credit card expense reports for budget number accuracy and make any necessary changes
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts
- Reconcile payroll module and the general ledger for all salaries and wages
- Maintain a listing of all lease payments during the fiscal year
- Reconcile accounts payable monthly
- Reconcile donor system contributions to the general ledger monthly
- Back up for accounts payable and cash receipts
- Maintain confidentiality of information regarding students and other employees
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or Associates degree in Accounting with 5 or more years of applicable experience
- 2-3 years of directly applicable experience.
- Ability to handle and work with interruptions during normal office hours.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and the Windows environment.
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation, and the ability to handle multiple priorities and complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Proficient at multitasking.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 80% of this position’s duties require use of a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Compensation is based upon qualifications and experience.
Send completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 3,700 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 35 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.