Department: School of Natural Sciences
Reports to: Dean of School of Natural Sciences
Time commitment: 20 hours per week
Start date: Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is appointed
The School of Natural Sciences is seeking a leader who cares deeply about first generation success in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), to build a strong Supplemental Instruction (SI) program. The SI Coordinator will recruit a team of student Supplemental Instructors, train and develop their capacity to lead first-generation students in their learning capacity, promote the program, and assess its effectiveness. The SI Coordinator is a member of the STEM REALM team, a U.S. Department of Education five-year funded program, reports to the STEAM REALM Activity Lead, and works closely with the Academic Support Center, tutors, and coaches, faculty, staff, and students.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times
- Exhibit unfaltering commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the University
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students, and guests
- Provide high quality leadership to our math and sciences students, their parents, and other constituent groups across various communication channels (email, mail, phone, social media, and in person)
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate upper level STEM students to be SI leaders
- Help develop, coordinate, and administer the SI program
- Promote the SI program with students, faculty and the broader university community
- Participate in STEM REALM student learning communities and help build their effectiveness
- Work closely with the Academic Support Center to coordinate student success support
- Support the STEM REALM Activity Lead and Director in any and all grant activities
- Data entry, maintenance, and reporting of information in SI database
- Various other duties as assigned by the director to promote STEM REALM succeed in achieving its goals
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University
- Bachelor’s degree in a science, math, technology, or related field earned or in progress
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Capacity and enthusiam to build a collegial community
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation and the ability to handle multiple proprieties and complex projects simultaneously
- Capable of being a spokesperson for Supplemental Instruction
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Word and Excel
- Ability to present and interact with people in a warm, professional manner
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner
- Ability to effectively present the positive attributes of Fresno Pacific University, as well as the exciting and expanding STEM fields of math and science
- Background experience with low income, Hispanic, and/or first-generation college students
- Ability to speak a second language
- Familiarity with the Mennonite Brethren Church.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Proficient at multitasking.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision-making.
- Approximately 30% of this position’s duties require use of a computer
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
$20/hour for 20 hours/week August through May.
Send Completed Applications To
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.