Department: DC Administration
Reports to: DC Lead Academic Tutor, Kelly LaSalle
Time commitment: 8 hours per week
The Writing Tutor’s primary aim is to help students become more confident, effective writers. Tutors work with writers of all levels and disciplines on a variety of assignments and projects, such as research papers, theses, journals, and creative writing.
Writing tutors help students with the writing process and not with editing papers. Using guiding questions, writing tutors elicit critical thinking in students, aiding the students understanding of his or her writing. Tutors help students become familiar with the use of ETS Criterion to further develop mechanical writing skills.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students and guests.
- Provide writing tutoring for Degree Completion students at regional centers through appointments and on a drop-in basis with a focus on development, organization, punctuation, grammar, research skills, and APA Style.
- Help maintain a professional yet welcoming environment to support learning in the regional center.
- Attend tutoring training and participate in writing workshops for students.
- Work with instructors to provide special assistance for individuals in writing and critical reading.
- Be aware of and able to use a variety of strategies to work with diverse clientele whose writing skills cover a wide range of ability.
- Work with students in a manner that is encouraging and which fosters confidence in the writer.
- Proctor writing assessment tests as needed.
- Attend specialized training for core software, security awareness, and newly implemented technologies.
- Demonstrate personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Ability to present the positive attributes of Fresno Pacific University.
- Have strong writing abilities, particularly in expository genres.
- Possess advanced communication skills in order to appropriately articulate suggestions for writing improvement.
- Be dependable and punctual in performing duties, in the completion of assigned tasks, and in notifying the appropriate staff personnel when conflicts or problems occur.
- Relate to students with various academic levels and needs.
- Interact with people from diverse backgrounds in a warm, professional manner.
- Demonstrate organizational capabilities, detail orientation, and multitasking skills.
- Be computer literate, especially in MS Word.
- Be able to learn new technology.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate professional appearance, including business-like apparel.
- Submit ALL of the following documents
- Completed application
- Cover letter and résumé
- College transcript(s)
- Recommendation letter
- Academic writing sample of at least five pages.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Demonstrate experience working with students from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
- The normal working conditions consist of a normal indoor office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least ninety percent (90%) of the time;
- Frequent computer use at a workstation;
- Unscheduled interruptions;
- Mild to moderate noise level; and
- Regular interaction with the university community.
The physical demands of this position include frequent sitting and standing for extended periods of time. Dependent on the student assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 25 pounds. Repetitive bending at the waist as well as kneeling, stooping, crouching to assist students is also required. Employees may reach overhead as well as above the shoulders and horizontally. Dexterity of hands and fingers to demonstrate activities or run instructional equipment is required as is hearing and speaking to exchange information, make presentations, hear in a noisy environment and locate the source of a sound. Seeing to read a variety of materials and monitor student activities is also required, including computer screens.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Send Completed Applications To
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.