Early Childhood Development
The bachelor of arts degree in early childhood development is interdisciplinary and designed to help students better understand the growth and development of children from birth through eight years.
Courses focus on the total environment of the child as part of the learning experience by incorporating a strong foundation in theory and practice through a holistic approach which addresses the diversity and special needs of the young child. Coursework also prepares students to work with children with exceptionalities/special needs. Curriculum is aligned with the learning foundations published by the California State Department of Education and the NCATE standards for baccaluareate degrees. Students meet subject matter competence in the seven categories identified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- 18 month program
- Experienced and highly rated university faculty
- A stimulating academic environment
- Cohort groups of 12-24 students to provide maximum interaction and support
- Cohorts meet face-to-face for class one night per week in this efficient, accelerated program or fully online
- Students from a variety of workplaces, ages and cultural backgrounds
This degree prepares graduates to pursue a career in early childhood education including positions in public and private preschools, churches and businesses that offer preschool for the children of their employees. Graduates are also prepared to pursue additional credentials and certificates to become educators in elementary schools and special education programs or as career counselors with child and family service organizations.
- Completed application form and $40 fee (fee waived if you attend an information meeting)
- All application pieces, official transcripts, recommendation form and admissions essay
- 60 transferable baccalaureate level units
- Minimum 2.4 GPA
- Two years post-secondary experience
View a list of courses and descriptions.
New cohorts are formed each spring (February) and fall (August).
How much does it cost?
Tuition is competitively priced and financial aid is available. View details on tuition and fees.
How do I apply?
The application process is straightforward. View details on how to apply.
For additional information or for program availability, contact the following Degree Completion Offices:
|Fresno Main Campus||Bakersfield Center||North Fresno Center||Visalia Center||Merced Center|
To view all of the majors offered in the degree completion program, please visit our degree completion program page.
Degree completion information meetings
are held on the first Thursday of every month at 5:30 p.m.