The minor in music provides students with an introduction to musical training, offering the basic skills necessary for understanding and appreciating music.
Courses for the minor focus on music history, music theory and ear training, popular American and church music. It also offers four semesters of private instruction and two semesters of experience in a performing ensemble.
The minor in music provides training that can be partnered with many majors and interests to prepare students for work in creative fields such as advertising and marketing, teaching, children's ministries and missions.
General Education Prerquisites (6 Units)
- MUS-101 Elements of Musicianship (3) (or waived by examination)
- MUS-102 Music Appreciation (3)
- or MUS-103 Introduction to American Popular Music (3)
Required Courses (14-15 Units)
- MUS-110L Music Theory and Ear Training (4)
- MUS-210L Music Theory and Counterpoint (4)
- MUS-400 Music in the Church (3)
Select one of the following:
- MUS-350 Early Music History (3)
- MUS-351 Music History: 1725-1900 (3)
- MUS-352 Music History and World Music since 1900 (4)
Applied Music (Private Instruction) (4 units)
Four semesters of private instruction. Successful completion of the level-one jury examination.
Ensemble (8 units)
Four semesters of participation in a performing ensemble. All ensemble participation units may be taken in any of these ensembles:
- MUS-115/315 Vocal Performance Workshop (1-2)
- MUS-116/316 Concert Choir (2)
- MUS-122/322 Baroque Orchestra (2)
- MUS-123/323 Community Wind Ensemble (2)
Up to 4 units (or up to 50% of all required ensemble units whichever is less) may be taken in any of these ensembles:
- MUS-114/314 Crosswind (2)
- MUS-117/317 San Joaquin Chorale (2)
- MUS-118/318 Vocal Ensemble (2) (women’s chorale, men’s chorus or other approved vocal ensemble)
- MUS-119/319 Pacific Chamber Singers (2)
- MUS-120/320 Instrumental Ensemble (2) (brass choir, handbell choir or other approved instrumental ensemble)
- MUS-121/321 Jazz Band (2)
- MUS-125/325 University String Quartet (2)
- MUS-127/327 Woodwind Choir (2) (flute choir, sax quartet)