- Gary Gramenz
- Ananda Aspen
- Peggy Avakian
- Jerome Barrett
- Terry Bese
- Allen Carden
- Megan Chaney
- Cynthia Coleman
- Vivian Gayles
- Bill Gillaspie
- Carol Gossett
- Linda Hoff
- Jeanne Janzen
- Lisa Keith
- Peter Kopriva
- Angel Krause
- Julie Lane
- René Lebsock
- Donna Martin
- Bobbi Mason
- Larry Metzler
- Jo Ellen Misakian
- Robert Murray
- Robin Perry
- Denise Rea
- Celsa Shewan
- Henrietta Siemens
- Diane Talbot
- David Weber
- Dave Youngs
- Denette Zaninovich
Allen Carden, Ph.D.
- Early American history, especially Puritanism and the American Revolution
- American presidency, especially Abraham Lincoln
- American slavery
- California history
- Greek and Roman foundations of western civilization
- Research on college-going issues in America
Professional and Service Experience
I have served in numerous administrative capacities over the years in addition to serving as a faculty member. These positions have included admissions counselor, registrar, associate dean of undergraduate studies, director of winter term and associate provost at Biola University in La Mirada, California; academic vice president and president at Spring Arbor College in Spring Arbor, Michigan; president at Fresno Pacific University; and director of the Central Valley Higher Education Consortium at California State University, Fresno.
Honors and Awards
- Provost Faculty Scholarship recipient
- Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society in History
Conference on Faith and History
I have been an advocate for overseas learning experiences for students and have taken 14 student groups to Europe, in addition to establishing educational exchange programs with universities in China and Russia.
Publications and Presentations
- "The Lincoln Legacy," presentation at the Fresno County Law Day Luncheon May 2009
- "Great Presidential Campaigns," lecture series at the Osher Lieflone Learning Institute at California State University, Fresno, October 2008: Washington, John Adams and Jefferson, John Quincy Adams and Jackson and William Henry Harrison (October 7); Lincoln, Grant, Hayes, Cleveland and Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison (October 14); Theodore Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt, Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt (October 21); Truman, Kennedy, Nixon, Carter and Reagan and George W. Bush (October 28)
- Puritan Christianity in America: Religion and Life in 17th Century Massachusetts, published by Baker Book House, 1990
- Numerous articles and chapter contributions on American Puritanism, American Christianity and Abraham Lincoln
- History of the City of La Mirada, California - commissioned by the La Mirada City Council
- Various articles on higher education issues and access
- Various book reviews
- I am an avid fan of the History Channel (most of the time).
- Also, any books written by Edmund S. Morgan and David McCullough on American history are winners.
- I have been married since 1970, and have two adult children and two grandchildren.
- I love international travel.
- My top priority in life is: learning and doing God's will.