Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get financial aid?

All students who are eligible and demonstrate financial need can receive financial aid. Currently, 98% of the undergraduate population at FPU receives some type of financial aid through scholarships, grants and loans. Each student's financial aid award package is unique and is based on factors such as need and GPA. Contact your financial aid counselor for more information.

What are the different types of financial aid?

FPU offers several different types of financial aid. You can view the awards and requirements on our financial aid awards page.

How is my financial need determined?

By filling out the FAFSA, the federal government uses complex calculations to determine your family income and EFC (expected family contribution). This information is sent to FPU from the Department of Education and will be used in creating your award package.

What does it cost to attend FPU?

Costs associated with tuition can be found on our tuition and fees page. These are guidelines as there are many scholarships and other aid opportunities available to prospective students.

What is a Pell Grant?

A Pell Grant is a grant from the federal government that comes directly to FPU on your behalf and is funded to your student account. The maximum Pell Grant is $5,550 for the school year and can be used in fall, spring and summer sessions combined (maximum $2,775 per semester). The Pell Grant is split among all colleges you attend for the school year, so if you're a transfer student you may still be eligible to receive the remainder of the Pell Grant not awarded by your previous institution.

What is "verification"?

If you are selected for verification you will be required to submit copies of your prior year's federal tax transcript. If you are married, you will also be required to submit a copy of your spouse's federal tax transcript if you did not file jointly. If you are a dependent student, you will also need to submit copies of your parents' federal tax transcript. Students who fail to submit requested tax information will be ineligible for federal and state financial aid.

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can review the financial aid application process here.

What's a FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that the government uses to determine your family's expected contribution for your education. This expected family contribution (EFC) is used to calculate how much federal aid you are eligible for. In short, it is a standard way for the government to disburse money for education to students with need.