Transferring VA Benefits to Dependents

Section menu

Chapter 33 members may transfer up to the total months of unused Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits remaining or the entire 36 months if unused by member (unless DoD/DHS limits the number of months an individual my transfer).

Criteria for Transferring Educational Benefits:


  • May start to use benefit immediately.
  • May use the benefit while the member remains in the armed forces or after separation from active duty.
  • Is not eligible for the monthly stipend or books and supplies stipend while the member is serving on active duty.
  • Can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the service member’s last separation from active duty.
  • A subsequent divorce will not affect the transferee’s eligibility to receive educational benefits; however, after the individual has designated a spouse as a transferee under this section, the eligible individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer of educational benefits at any time.



  • May start to use benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the armed forces.
  • May use the benefit while the member remains in the armed forces or after separation from active duty.
  • May not use the benefit until he/she has attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate) or reached 18 years of age.
  • Is entitled to the monthly stipend and books and supplies stipend even though the member is on active duty.
  • Is not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but may not use the benefit after 26 years of age.


How to Apply for the Transfer of Educational Benefits

  1. The first step is to go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transfer of educational benefits. This website is ONLY available to military members:
  2. Upon approval, dependents may apply to use transferable educational benefits with the VA by completing Form 22-1990e. This form should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB.

*Information taken from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - 810 Vermont Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20420