Explore M.A. in Teaching (Only for FPU Credential Graduates within 5 years of completion)
After completing the requirements for a preliminary credential (single or multiple subject), you will extend and deepen your understanding of effective teaching strategies and curriculum analysis by enrolling in 12 units of post-credential coursework during the first five years of teaching.
As a MAT student, you will be challenged to reflect on your role as a teacher and your commitment to teaching as your vocation. You will develop a deeper understanding of teacher inquiry and gain a teacher-research identity, which you will apply by completing a classroom action research project and report.
- Emphasis on teacher inquiry into problems of practice.
- Opportunity to engage in rigorous scholarly and professional dialogue about issues critical to new teachers.
- Coursework aligned with many California teacher-induction programs.
- Cohort model which fosters a robust community of practice.
- Convenient classes one night per week.
- Two Semesters (four courses) of post-credential coursework centered on teacher inquiry and action research.
Division Chair: Angelica Reynosa, Ed.D.
Master of Arts in Teaching Program Director:
Multiple Subjects Program Director: Darrell Blanks, M.A.
Single Subject Program Director: Robin K. Perry, Ed.D.
Merced Program Director: Jacalyn Griffen, Ed.D.
Bakersfield Program Director: Doug Bartsch, M.A.
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) with Preliminary Multiple Subjects Credential
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) with Preliminary Single Subject Credential
- Preliminary Multiple Subjects Credential
- Preliminary Single Subject Credential
We encourage candidates in the teacher education program at FPU to embrace teaching as a calling to redemptive service. We expect our graduates will become scholars, professionals, peacemakers and leaders as they enter the teaching profession.
Applicants may apply for the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) with the preliminary teaching credential when they start their teacher preparation program. MAT students complete their preliminary credential (approx. 36 units) and then return to FPU to complete the 12 post-credential MAT units within the first few years of teaching alternatively, applicants may apply for the preliminary multiple or single subject credential as a stand-alone credential program. Credential program completers may return to FPU within the first one-three years of teaching to apply to complete the MAT program.
MAT Post-Credential Courses
- EDUC 701 - Issues in Teaching: Investigations of Problems of Practice Credits 3
- EDUC 703 - Curriculum Study: Theory, Analysis and Practice Credits 3
- EDUC 704 - Research Methodologies: Qualitative Action Research Credits 3
- EDUC 705 - MAT Research Project Credits 3
With an FPU Education
The decision to embark on graduate studies is a big one. Our 45+ graduate programs will equip you to succeed in your career and in your life. You’ll become part of a small community of learners, thrive in a flexible learning environment and be challenged by a rigorous curriculum. Learn how much further you can go at FPU!
Note: As a result of COVID-19, admission requirements have temporarily been simplified. Please contact your program representative for more information.
- Completed the multiple subject or single subject credential program at Fresno Pacific University no more than 5 years prior to enrolling.
- Graduate Admissions Application Update form (GAUF)
- Verification of Employment as a teacher.
- Orientation meeting with the program director.
Cost & Financial Aid
The below listed prices reflect the current and upcoming Fall and Spring semesters and do not include any financial aid. Paying for college can be an overwhelming step in your education journey. We can help you find all the opportunities to reduce your out of pocket costs.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition per Unit Amount 700 Level $730 Teacher Education $730 MBA $785 MSN and LEAD $750 KIN $590 Other Costs Amount Student services fee (per semester) $60 * Field Placement Fee (charged for both the international and regional trip semesters) $1,500
Tuition per Unit Amount 700 Level $705 Teacher Education $705 MBA $757* MSN and LEAD $720 KIN $570 Other Costs Amount Student services fee (per semester) $60 * Field Placement Fee (charged for both the international and regional trip semesters) $1,500
* This is an estimate. Costs subject to change. Please refer to the Catalog for additional fees. Cost of attendance figures are used for budgeting purposes only and represent an estimate of projected tuition and fees for the coming academic year. Actual tuition rates are approved by the Board of Trustees and may vary.
Types of aid
Financial aid can refer to scholarships, grants and loans, which are available to you from the government, the university or outside sources. Aid types vary depending on the type of student you are.
Career Development Happens Here
The staff in our Career Development and Experiential Learning Center are here to help you prepare to enter the working world. Whether your a freshman or an FPU alum, there are a number of resources and trainings offered to help you find the internship and job you’re looking for.
- Resume writing classes
- Career assessments, exploration & planning
- Job search and networking opportunities
- and much more