Skip to main content

Housing Information & Policies

The university believes that residence halls provide an educational benefit to students. The experience of living and participating in a residence hall enriches the spiritual, intellectual, emotional and physical life. It is by nature experiential. One is challenged to learn and live with others who are different from themselves. It is an opportunity to translate faith into learning and living.

In light of the above beliefs, all students enrolled in the traditional undergraduate program are required to live in campus housing unless they qualify for at least one of the following exemptions: 

  1. Living at home with their parent(s) or parental age relative
  2. 21 years of age or older before the first day of class or within the “grace period” of the first two weeks of each semester
  3. Married or getting married before the start of the semester
  4. Are a parent and primary care giver for their child
  5. Carrying fewer than 9 units
  6. Accepted to live in an authorized residential ministry programs.

In addition, any student receiving FPU institutional aid equal to 80% or more of the current cost of tuition will be required to live on campus. Faculty/staff tuition waivers from FPU’s employee benefit program will not be counted against this 80%. 

Students must demonstrate compliance with the housing policy, every year before the first day of class, by completing and submitting a housing application in our housing portal "Home @ FPU" (students must be admitted to FPU with valid FPU email address to access the portal). Students who fail to do so will be charged the applicable room and board rate (applied to their student account) until they come into compliance with the housing policy by either moving on-campus, qualifying for an exemption listed below or successfully petitioning to live off campus.

Requests to Live Off-Campus

Students (including new and transfer students) who are single, under 21 years of age and taking more than 9 units must fill out and submit their commuter approval forms in our "Home @ FPU" portal (students must be admitted to FPU with valid FPU email address to access the portal). Students who do not qualify to live off-campus and wish to appeal for an out-of-ordinary exemption to the Office of Residence Life may contact the Student Development Office and connect with a member of the team. The Office of Residence Life may require additional paperwork. Requests are not guaranteed to be approved.

The Office of Residence Life will review cases within two weeks of receiving both verbal and written communication of the petition. Decisions made by the Office of Residence Life are final (financial difficulty does not qualify for an out-of-the-ordinary exemption from the housing policy.

*Students who are 23 years of age or older may petition for special permission from the director of residence life and housing to live on campus. This provision includes all incoming transfer or international students.

*All students must have a $200 housing deposit on file before being assigned housing. Pay your housing deposit here!

*Returning students who have signed up for a room but do not plan to occupy it must notify the Residence Life and Housing Office in writing by June 1st for the fall semester and December 15th for the spring semester. Failure to meet this notification deadline will result in a forfeit of the $200 housing deposit.

*New students who have submitted a Roommate Match From and their $200 housing deposit but wish to withdraw their housing request must notify the Residence Life and Housing Office in writing by two weeks before a semester begins. Failure to meet this notification deadline will result in a forfeit of the $200 housing deposit.

On-Campus Exemptions for non-TUG students

  1. Graduate or Credentialing students who are actively enrolled on the Athletics roster.
  2. Graduate or Credentialing students who were a resident as a TUG student in the semester immediately prior to their start as a Grad or Credentialing student.
  3. International students (IELP or TUG) who were residents and have graduated, may live on campus for one year immediately following their commencement date if they are enrolled in OPT (Optional Practical Training).

Extenuating Housing Circumstances for FPU Students: Appeal Process

Fresno Pacific’s on-campus housing is solely for traditional undergraduate students. However, if space permits, a graduate, credentialing or degree completion student may petition to live on campus if they are experiencing extenuating circumstances. The petitions will be evaluated by a committee and can be submitted to The Office of Residence Life and Housing ( The petition must be titled as following; (Student Name - Housing Petition - DATE) and be followed by a phone call to the Office of Residence Life to ensure receipt of submission. The Petition must also consist of answers to the following questions that need to be answered thoroughly:

  1. What extenuating circumstances are you experiencing that would qualify you to live on campus through a housing policy exemption?
  2. How long do you anticipate needing housing?

The cost of housing will be prorated for their time in housing, and payments will be added to their student account.

NOTE: If a student in housing comes out of compliance to live in housing for any reason (conduct, academic, financial, etc.) the student must follow the course of action set for them by the Office of Residence Life in cooperation with other campus administrators.

What to Bring

Are you wondering what to bring along with you to FPU? Below are some suggestions of common items that you may want to have. Happy packing!

Must Haves

  • Linens
  • Towels
  • Sheets (All living areas have twin extra long mattresses: 7.25” x 36” x 80”)
  • Blankets
  • Comforter
  • Pillow(s)
  • School supplies
  • Toiletries (hair products, shaving items, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc)
  • Medications/Prescriptions
  • Laundry and Cleaning Items
  • Laundry bag or basket
  • Laundry detergent, softener and stain remover
  • All-purpose cleaner/dusting supplies

Optional Items

Appliances (Contact your roommate over the summer to see who will bring the following items. Only one of each of the following appliances is allowed per room):

  • Microwave or small air fryer
  • Small refrigerator (3.0 cubic feet maximum)
  • Television
  • Coffeemaker with an automatic shut-off

Miscellaneous Items

  • Flashlight
  • Hangers
  • Key ring/lanyard/ID holder
  • Umbrella

Personal Items

  • Bath mat
  • Bike (Bikes are not allowed in living areas and must be stored in a bike locker) Contact Student Government at 559-453-2040 to learn more about bike lockers
  • Shower caddy (one with holes in the bottom is best)

Room Accessories

  • Calendar/White Board/Cork Board
  • Computer
  • Chargers (computer and phone)
  • Power strip(s) with surge protector No major appliance may be plugged into a power strip
  • Posters, photos, other room decorations
  • Small pins to hang posters, etc
  • Nails, tape, hooks or other items that may permanently damage the walls are not allowed
  • Trashcan/Trashbags

What Not To Bring

  • Candles
  • Extension cords
  • Hot plates
  • Toasters
  • Pets of any kind

Standard Room Includes

  • Standard desk with chair
  • Wardrobe or closet
  • Drawers
  • Twin extra long mattress (7.25” x 36” x 80”)

Please use these dimensions when purchasing sheets as some extra long sheets will not fit. (Bed, Bath & Beyond sheets with these dimensions do work.)

Note: At move-in, no furniture may be disassembled or re-assembled. Students may request through or their RA to have their furniture reconfigured by Facilities management. All furniture provided by the university must stay in the room.