Calendared from September 15th – October 15th, Hispanic Heritage Month brackets the independence days of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Chile, and Belize. It commemorates the culmination of profound shifts in thinking and culture that overcame oppression. Hispanic Heritage Month 2020 is the perfect time for a revolution – a revolution of perspective and ideas.
Fresno Pacific University is proud to be a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). We are proud to recognize, commemorate, and celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.
What is an HSI?
A Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) is defined as an institution of higher education that has an enrollment of undergraduate full-time equivalent students that is at least 25 percent Hispanic students at the end of the award year immediately preceding the date of application.
According to the most recent data analyzed by HACU from the 2018-19 academic year, 539 Hispanic-Serving Institutions are in 181 Congressional Districts in 25 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Fresno Pacific University is the first CCCU institution in California to receive the Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) designation. We are just one of the 146 private not-for-profit HSI institutions across the United States.
Please check this page regurlarly for updates, events, and resources.
Online Hispanic Heritage Month Events
- As we enter #HispanicHeritageMonth, we celebrate all of our Hispanic and Latinx students throughout our campus locations and around the world! As part of a collaboration between our @fpu_osfd and @fpualas teams, throughout the month, we will be featuring short videos from our Hispanic/Latinx staff and faculty as they share their words of encouragement for our students. #gosunbirds
- The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in paying tribute to the generations of Hispanic Americans who have positively influenced and enriched our nation and society: https://hispanicheritagemonth.gov/
- Centroamericanto Fest is a cultural initiative that brings the music from Central America to Austin, TX. The festival showcases the music of some of the most influential singer-songwriters from the Central American region. Centroamericanto 2020 Virtual Event September 19th, 2020 at 7PM Free Streaming RSVP
- Article from Chaging America: "What Hispanic Heritage Month means and how anyone can celebrate it" by Austa Somvichian-Clausen
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with New Films to Watch and Documentaries Worth Revisiting on PBS
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month Videos