Marshall Johnston, Ph.D.
School of Humanities, Religion and Social Sciences
- Ph.D., Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania
- M.A., Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania
- M.A., University of Georgia
- Secondary Certification, Georgia State University
- B.A., Davidson College, North Carolina
FPU is a vibrant, supportive, multi-denominational community. There is room for lively academic and theological exchange. I get to work on and teach about early Christianity at the lower and upper division level, as well as with graduate students. I also have an opportunity to further my own and my students' understanding of the ancient Hebrews. As if these weren't enough, I get to teach more Greek and Latin than I have at any previous job. FPU provides a rare opportunity to combine faith and service, and in the process nurture the next generation of leaders in the Church and the world.
I live in the Tower District with my wife Pam--also a Classicist-cats and a dog. I drive to work in a grease car: a VW Jetta converted to run on soybean oil.
- "A dangerous mind: The ideas and influence of Delbert L. Wiens" Wipf & Stock (2015)
- "Playing with identity: pseudo-figures and pseduonymity in the ancient world – the adventurous afterlife of some of ancient Rome's most famous people" Fresno Pacific University (2013)
- "Book Reviews" Fresno Pacific University (2012)
- "Nestor's Advice" presented at the Association for Core Texts and Courses conference in New Brunswick, New Jersey, April 2010
- "Book Reviews" Fresno Pacific University (2008)
- "The Fifth Gospel in Film," presentation at the Southwest Texas Popular Culture Association section meeting of the American Popular Culture Association, February 2008 in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Response to The tragedy of slavery: the church's response, by Scott Key, Fresno Pacific University (2007)
- The Latin translations in The Whitehouse ABC: A Presidential Alphabet, by John Hutton, published by the White House Historical Foundation, 2004