- Ph.D. in Mathematics Education, Policy and Practice; Claremont Graduate University, 2015.
- M.A., Mathematics Education, Fresno Pacific University, 1999
- B.A., Mathematics, California State University, Fresno, 1985
Presently my work is with both in-service and pre-service STEM teachers. My teaching focuses on providing them with content rich courses that challenge paradigms and ask them to change their frame of reference. My research interests lie in how altering teachers’ frameworks can improve the overall learning experience of students in the K-12 system with regards to STEM subjects. I have an abiding interest in the incorporation of the Arts into this study as well and as such also do research on what is known as STEAM.
Publications & Presentations
- Brownell, C. (June, 2018) “A Physics Lab in Your Pocket?! The PocketLab opens the door to integrating physical phenomena into the mathematics classroom.” Delivered in Parallel Session 2 on Thursday June 28, 2018 published in the Proceedings of the 7th Congress on Digital Tools in Mathematics (CADGME) in Coimbra, Portugal.
- Brownell, C. (December 2017) Interpreting Physical Phenomena via The PocketLab” A presentation to the California STEAM Symposium; San Fransisco, CA.
- Brownell, C. (October 2017) “Exploding Dots, The Global Math Project: A Report and Review. Presented to the California Math Council Southern Conference; Palm Springs CA
- Brownell, C. (October, 2017 & December 2017 North) Paper Folding Geometry a Start on Calculus Concepts Presented to the California Math Council Southern Conference; Palm Springs CA and Northern Section in Asilomar CA.
- Stone, L., Brownell, C. (July, 2017) “Versatile Genius: A Case Study Intersecting Math, Science, Art, and California’s National Parks.” Proceedings of Bridges Math-Art, Waterloo 2017 Conference. pp. 221-228.
- Brownell, C. (27-April-2017) “A Brief History & Status Update on Mathematics Curricula in the USA” Invited talk, Jyväskylä University Conference on Mathematics Curriculum Innovation and Research. Jyväskylä, Finland.
- Brownell, C. (20-April-2017) “On HexaFlexagons and the Binary Represenation of Integers” a presentation to Finnish teachers at the “Experience Workshop” Kuopio, Finland.
- Brownell, C. (4-December-2016) “Understanding a Deep Principle of Number via Doubling” paper and presentation delivered at California Mathematics Council-North. Asilomar, CA
- Brownell, C. (3-November-2016) “Understanding a Deep Principle of Number via Doubling” paper and presentation delivered at California Mathematics Council-South conference. Palm Springs, CA
- Brownell, C. (ongoing broadcast) “The Zone of Potential Construction” a weekly podcast of the AIMS Center for Mathematics & Science Education Research. Access @ www.aimsedu.org/zpc/