- Ed.D., Higher Education Leadership, Azusa Pacific University
- PPSC, Pupil Personnel Credential, National University
- M.S., Educational Counseling, National University
- B.A., Interdisciplinary Studies, National University
Dr. Kizzy Lopez is an Assistant Professor in the Social Work Degree Completion Program. She serves as the research faculty member for the department primarily teaching Introduction to Social Science Research and Thesis courses. Her research focuses on the experiences of underrepresented communities, particularly those who have experienced foster care or homelessness.
Dr. Lopez’s passion is fueled by her personal experiences as a former foster youth and experiences with homelessness while attending community college. Isaiah 1:17 has been an important scripture that would guide her practice and scholarship, “Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.”
Publications & Presentations
- Hoffman, A., Lopez, K., Bennett, J., & Tinker, B. (Mar., 2018). Fostering inclusion: The implementation of a faculty/staff mentor program for college-going foster youth. Philadelphia, PA: 2018 National Association of Student Personnel Administration.
- Whitman, K., & Lopez, K. (Nov., 2017). Towards leveling the playing field: Insights on the college-going experiences of foster care alumni. Houston, TX: 2017 Annual Conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education.
- Lopez, K., Whitman, K., & Velez Young-Alfaro, M. (Nov., 2017). Foster care alumni and family privilege: Perspectives and practices inside college programs. Houston, TX: 2017, Annual Conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education.
- Gamez, S., Lopez, K., & Chambers, D. (Oct., 2017). Mindful practice: Taking care of you. Los Angeles, CA: 2017 Blueprint Conference.
- Lopez, K., & Hunt, J. (Oct., 2017). Implementing a mentoring program for students from foster care or unaccompanied youth. Los Angeles, CA: 2017 Blueprint Conference.
- Espinoza Parra, 0., Thomas, B., & Lopez, K. (May, 2017). The Miseducation of the other: Reflections on the spiritual conflict encountered by doctoral students at faith-based institutions. Los Angeles, CA: 2017 NASPA Religious, Secular, and Spiritual Convergence.
- Amechi, M. H., Gross, J., Gupton, J., Lopez, K., & Whitman, K. (2016). A forum on critical issues affecting foster youth in higher education: Cultivating a scholarly agenda and community of scholars. Columbus, OH: 2016 Annual conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education.
- Lopez, K. & Duran, B. (2016). Transitional age foster youth-Getting them into and through college. Fresno, CA: Central Valley Higher Education Consortium.
- Kim, Y., Edens, D., Espinoza Parra, O., & Lopez, K. (2015). Sense of belonging among undergraduate students of color at predominantly White religious-based institutions. In B. Jackson Glimps and T. N. Ford (Eds.), Gender and Diversity Issues in Religious-Based Institutions and Organizations. IGI Global Publisher.
- Lopez, K. & Childs, L. (Nov., 2014). Innovative and effective strategies to promote student success and sense of belonging. Anaheim, CA: 2014 Western Regional Conference of the National Association of Student Personnel Administration.