Eleanor Nickel, Ph.D.
School of Humanities, Religion and Social Sciences
- Ph.D., English, University of Iowa, 2001
- M.A., English with Creative Writing Concentration, West Virginia University, 1997
- B.A., English, Gordon College, 1995 - Summa Cum Laude
I teach at Fresno Pacific University because I greatly value the diversity of the students who come into my classroom from all over the world. Nothing makes me feel more satisfied than helping students grow both in their faith and in their ability to think critically, as they strive to imitate the "mind of Christ."
- "Christian Popular Culture from The Chronicles of Narnia to Duck Dynasty". Cascade Books, 2021.
- “Whiner or Warrior? Susan Pevensie’s Role in the Novel and Film Versions of The Chronicles of Narnia,” C.S. Lewis and the Inklings: Reflections on Faith, Imagination, and Modern Technology, 2015
- “‘Jesus, Take the Wheel’: Evangelical Christianity on American Idol,” Intégrité: A Faith and Learning Journal, 2013
- “When Darcy Is a Dog: How Wishbone Introduces Children to Jane Austen,” Persuasions: The Jane Austen Journal On-Line, 2013
- “‘I’m the Worst Mother Ever’: Motherhood, Comedy, and the Challenges of Bearing and Raising Children in Friends,” Studies in Popular Culture, 2012
- "Book Reviews" Fresno Pacific University (2011)
- "Book Reviews" Fresno Pacific University (2010)
- “‘But This Is the South’: Ambivalent Regionalism in Jan Karon’s Mitford Novels,” Studies in Popular Culture, 2010
- “‘Everything Was Contested’: Teaching Print and Television Biographies of Willa Cather,” Teaching the Works of Willa Cather, 2009
- "For Royce" Fresno Pacific University (2009)
- "Living on Normal Avenue" Fresno Pacific University (2009)
- “The Politics of Adaptation: Teaching R-Rated Films on a Christian Campus,” The Word in the English Classroom: Best Practices of Faith Integration, 2009
- “‘The World Hasn’t Changed Very Much’: Romantic Love in Film and Television Versions of Anne of Green Gables,” 100 Years of Anne With an ‘E’: The Centennial Study of Anne of Green Gables, 2009
- “Love and Microphones: Romantic Comedy Heroines as Public Speakers,” Journal of Popular Film and Television, 2007
- “A Menace to Human Culture? Teaching Television Films of Willa Cather’s Novels,” Teaching Cather, 2005
- “‘Space Is a Frame We Map Ourselves In’: The Feminist Geographies of Susan Howe’s Frame Structures,” The Greening of Literary Scholarship: Essays on Literature, Theory, and the Environment, 2002
- “The Beginning of the Real Story: C.S. Lewis’s Depictions of Heaven,” The Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society, 2000