The Masters of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) prepares you with the knowledge, skill, and insight to practice counseling in a clinical setting. This program integrates theology, theory, personal formation and professional practice. This program is ideal for any student desiring to help in the healing process of those who have experienced hurt, pain and hardship in life. The program prepares you and covers the content areas required for the California Marriage and Family Therapy licensure exams.
Download the MFT Admissions Checklist to get started
- Purposeful community of learners and leaders
- Experienced and published faculty
- Theologically diverse student body
- MFT and ministry students integrated in foundational courses
- Option to study in Israel each summer
- Option to attend the Hispanic Summer Program
- Diverse practicum opportunities
- Online courses available
- Fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- In 2018, our MFT students passed the Licensed Clinical Exam at a rate of 71% and the Law & Ethics exam at a rate of 100%.
Graduating with an MFT degree from the Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary prepares you for California licensure* as a therapist. FPU Biblical Seminary graduates work as therapists in private counseling centers, their own private practices, county mental health facilities among other places. After graduation, you will continue the 3,000 hour internship requirement for CA state licensing; once the hours are completed you may then apply through the Board of Behavioral Science to take the Licensed Marriage & Family Therapy exam
Cynthia McGrady, Ph.D.
Adam Ghali, Ph.D.
Autumn Lindberg, LMFT
David Bruce Rose, Ph.D.
Valerie Rempel, Ph.D.
Mark Baker, Ph.D.
Tim Geddert, Ph.D.
Lynn Jost, Ph.D.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University
- Minimum GPA of a 3.0.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Three reference letters: one from a Pastor or Spiritual mentor, one from a professor or employer, and one from a friend
- Official GRE exam scores
- Three prerequisite courses: intro to psychology, abnormal psychology, and human development
- Fifty hours of face-to-face counseling experience
- Personal profile questions
- Short answer questions
Required Courses (65 Units)
|BIB 709||Bible Knowledge Requirement Seminar||0|
|BIB 720||The Church and God's Mission in the World *||3|
|BIB 725||Understanding, Interpreting, and Teaching Scripture||2-3|
|BIB 760||Theology for Integration *||3|
|THEO 712||Story of the Church & Its Theology||2-3|
|COUN 710||Introduction to Counseling||1|
|COUN 721||Professional Ethics in Counseling||3|
|COUN 726||Human Development||3|
|COUN 728||Family Violence||1.5|
|COUN 730||Clinical Assessment||3|
|COUN 732||Aging and Long-Term Care||1|
|COUN 734||Counseling Families||3|
|COUN 736||Counseling Children||2|
|COUN 736L||Counseling Children Lab||1|
|COUN 744||Research, Testing and Family Assessment||2-3|
|COUN 747||Counseling Individuals and Couples: Modern Theories||2|
|COUN 747L||Counseling Individuals and Couples: Modern Theories Lab||1|
|COUN 748||Counseling Individuals and Couples: Postmodern Theories||1|
|COUN 752||Human Sexuality||3|
|COUN 754||Group Counseling||1-3|
|COUN 755||Contemporary Issues in Counseling||1|
|COUN 756||Grief Counseling||1|
|COUN 759||Psychobiology and Psychopharmacology||0.5|
|COUN 760||Substance Abuse||1|
|COUN 764||Trainee/Practicum Assessment||0|
|COUN 724||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|COUN 738||Person, Family, and Culture||2|
or COUN 750D
|Cross-Cultural Counseling: Los Angeles *|
or Cross-Cultural Counseling: San Francisco
or COUN 750C
|Cross Cultural Counseling: Fresno *|
or Cross-Cultural Counseling: International *
|COUN 704||Discerning Vocation and Calling||1|
|THEO 730||Discipleship and Ethics||2|
|COUN 792||Summer Practicum 1 - Optional Course, depending on Practicum placement.||1|
|COUN 793A||Practicum I||3|
|COUN 793B||Practicum II||3|
or COUN 799
|Advanced Family Studies *|
or Thesis *
|MIN 770||Ministry Discernment||0|
*Must be an FPU Biblical Seminary course.