Common Interview Questions to Anticipate
- What are your career plans?
- What qualifications do you have that will make you successful?
- What attracts you to our program?
- Will you tell me a little bit about yourself as a person?
- What are your plans and goals?
- What do you see as your strengths and weaknesses?
- What do you bring into the program?
- What are your special attributes?
- What are your research interests?
- Tell me about you research project/honors thesis.
- Which of our faculty members do you think you would work with?
- Where else have you applied or interviewed?
- Can you tell me about a recent client or clinical encounter?
- How did you conceptualize or treat your last client? (For clinical psychology majors. Adjust to fit your own major).
- What are your hobbies, avocations, favorite books and interests?
Source: (2016). Norcross, John C. and Sayette, Michael A. Insider’s Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. The Guilford Press: New York, NY.
Interview Questions a Student Might Ask
- What characteristics are specific to this program and distinguish it from competitors?
- Where are recent alumni employed? What do most students do after graduation?
- What types of financial aid are offered and what criteria are used for choosing recipients?
- Are there any scholarships or fellowships available? How do I apply?
- Do most students publish an article or present a paper before graduation?
- What planned practical experiences are included in the program (e.g., internships)? Ask for examples of internship placements.
- Does the department prefer applicants immediately out of undergraduate programs or do they prefer applicants with work experience? If they prefer or require experience, what kind of experience are they looking for?
- How are mentoring and advising relationships established? Are advisors assigned or chosen?
- How long do most students take to graduate? How many years of coursework?
- Do most students live near campus?
- What is it like to live in this area as a graduate student (ask other students)?
Source: http://careers.ls.wisc.edu/documents/Sample_Questions_for_Grad_School_Interviews.pdf. Accessed 04/05/2017.