College Hour meets Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00 a.m.
The purpose of College Hour is to learn, celebrate, and worship as a whole community through music, the arts, and public discourse. While this time together might include elements typical of a Chapel service, College Hour also offers the opportunity for the FPU community to gather to examine faith and life issues, to experience cultural and spiritual enrichment in the context of the Christian faith.
All Traditional Undergraduate Students are eligible to receive .5 units of credit each semester for participating in 14 College Hour events or gatherings. Please read the updated College Hour Policy below for information on how to receive College Hour credit.
Current College Hour Schedule
|1/12/22||"I Believe": The Apostles' Creed with Brian Davis|
|1/19/22||"I Believe": In God the Father, creator of Heaven and Earth|
|1/26/22||All Worship with the Student Chaplain Team|
|2/2/22||"I Believe": In Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord with Dr. Melanie Howard|
|2/9/22||"I Believe": He was concieved by the power of the Holy Spirit with the St. Paul Newman Center|
|2/16/22||"I Believe": He suffered under Pontius Pilate with DJ Criner|
|2/23/22||Stories of Transformation|
|3/2/22||Ash Wednesday Service with the St. Paul Newman Center|
|3/16/22||"I Believe": He descended to the dead and rose again with Taylor Stempniak|
|3/23/22||"I Believe": He ascended to heaven and is seated with the Father with Geraud Brumfield|
|3/30/22||"I Believe": in the Holy Spirit with Scott Holman|
|4/6/22||"I Believe": in the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints|
|4/13/22||"I Believe": in the forgiveness of sins|
|4/20/22||"I Believe":the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting|
|4/27/22||Senior Celebration and Commissioning Service with Veronica Mendez|
|1/14/22||“New Year, New Me?” with Dr. Jay Pope|
|1/21/22||“Beyond the Dream” with the Intercultural Learning Center|
|2/4/22||Black History Month Celebration with the Intercultural Learning Center|
|2/11/22||A Conversation on Immigration (part 1) with the Intercultural Learning Center|
|2/18/22||Interfaith Dialogue with the Student Chaplain Team|
|2/25/22||A Conversation on Immigration (part 2) with the Intercultural Learning Center|
|3/4/22||The Green Light Lounge|
|3/18/22||Sunbird Serve with the Social Work Club|
|4/1/22||Janzen Lectureship Series: “Who Has the Say?”|
College Hour Policy
Each semester, all traditional undergraduate students can opt-in to receive a half unit of College Hour credit. To receive credit, students must complete the following:
- Register for College Hour (CHR-240).
- Download the iAttended App and sign in with their FPU email address.
- Successfully attend a minimum of 14 College Hour events.
Once you have signed into iAttended and confirmed your FPU email address, you will see all opportunities to receive College Hour credit. Students are responsible for scanning into each event and tracking their attendance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Who leads College Hour programming?
- The Office of Spiritual Formation (OSF) provides oversight for College Hour and welcomes collaboration from various departments, student groups and community members for spiritual formation opportunities. The OSF staff is available to all members of the FPU community for prayer, counsel, and conversation.
- Q. Do I have to register to participate in College Hour programming?
- All students are welcome to participate in College Hour programming and events without registering for the course. Any student who wishes to receive College Hour credit must register for the course.
- Q. How do I register for College Hour?
- Students will register for College Hour (CHR-240) on Sunbird Central. This does not require advisor approval and can be completed at any point in the semester. The course is added without any additional costs or increases in tuition.
- Q. How do I get credit for attending?
College Hour events take place on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 10 a.m., however additional programming may be offered at other times. To receive College Hour credit, please follow the steps below:
- Download iAttended from your mobile app store.
- Sign in with your FPU email address ending in @students.fresno.edu. If another email address is used, you will not be able to view or subscribe to events.
- When attending each event, you will find a QR or event code that must be scanned or entered via the iAttended app. This will capture your attendance, which will be received by the Office of Spiritual Formation.
- Q. I don't have a smart phone and can't access the app. Can I still register and receive credit?
- Students who are unable to download the app can still receive College Hour credit. Please visit iAttendedapp.com and use your FPU email address (ending in students.fresno.edu) to sign in. After attending an event, you will need to remember the event code and enter it online to receive credit. Please email OSF@fresno.edu with additional questions.
- Q. If I'm registered, how many College Hour programs am I required to attend to receive credit?
- Registered students who attend 14 College Hour events in a semester will receive 1/2 unit of academic credit for the semester. Students must arrive on time and stay for the entire event. Registered students who attend fewer than 14 events will receive a grade of No Credit (NC) on their transcripts. The last day of classes is the last day to accumulate College Hour credit for any fall or spring semester (not the last day of final exams). Notice of the last day to fulfil the requirements will be included in regular College Hour communications.
- Q. I've registered for College Hour but decided that I no longer want to participate. Can I drop it?
- College Hour will follow the university's policy regarding drop dates. For more information, please contact the Registrar's Office.
- Q. Can I receive College Hour credit by viewing the recordings online?
- All College Hour events will be recorded and posted to our College Hour Blog. Students who view these recordings in lieu of attending events in person will not be eligible to receive College Hour credit unless previous accommodations have been set up with our Disability Access and Education Office. Please email OSF@fresno.edu with additional questions.
- Q. What if I don't get credit for a College Hour I attended?
Students must track their participation on iAttended and have 1 week to notify the Office of Spiritual Formation of any missed event scans. If a College Hour event is missing from a student's report, that student must email us at OSF@fresno.edu. As we verify our records, you will be asked to provide:
- The event date and time.
- The speaker's name.
- A brief summary of the event and topic that was discussed.
Any missing College Hour events that are not reported within one week will not receive credit. In that case, the student would need to attend another College Hour event.