- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 559-453-2099
- Office: Townsend 6, #101
- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary, Theology-Practical Theology emphasis & Systematic Theology minor
- M.Div., Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, Arizona Regional Campus
- B.A., Grand Canyon University, Bible, English Literature
As part of its Anabaptist, evangelical tradition, Fresno Pacific University draws its faculty from across the Christian faith spectrum. As a result we are able to engage one another in conversations that allow us to deepen our appreciation for how God is at work in our various traditions as we all faithfully seek to follow Jesus and to participate in His Kingdom's work. In addition to that, FPU is a teaching institution. Our interaction with the student is focused on their learning and our participation in that transformative process. We are interested in a holistic approach to engaging students that empowers them to consider how they fit into God's work as well.
I was born in Wyoming, but consider Phoenix, Arizona, home. In 1973, I made my faith commitment to Jesus at Twin Lakes Baptist Church in Las Vegas, Nevada, and was baptized in 1976 at First Southern Baptist Church in Glendale, Arizona—the same church that licensed me to the ministry in 1989. My wife, Cindy, and I were married in 1990. She has her B.S. in sociology, an M.S.W., and a D.Min. with emphasis in church social work. We had the joy of being on staff together at First Southern Baptist Church in Phoenix, Arizona, where she was a church social worker. We have one child, Carissa, whom we adopted in 2009 from the Guangdong province in China. I enjoy most strategy games, reading fiction, basketball, golf and Pixar movies (especially the shorts).
Selected Ministry Experience
- Joni & Friends Central California Family Camp, Wonder Valley, CA. March 19-25, 2016.
- Mennonite Senior High Youth Camp. Camp Keola, Huntington Lake, CA. July 26-August 1, 2009, July 18-24, 2010.
Minister of Discipleship/Administration
1998 – 2003 First Southern Baptist Church, Phoenix, AZ
1996 – 1997 Arrowhead Baptist Church, Phoenix, AZ
1995 – 1996 First Baptist Church, Ajo, AZ
1993 – 1995 South Jefferson Baptist Church, Louisville, KY
1989 – 1992 First Southern Baptist Church, Glendale, AZ
- 2015. Louisville Institute, with Dr. Julie M. Lane (primary investigator, FPU) & Dr. Rick Eigenbrood (SPU) (funded: $23, 440).
Awards & Honors
- 2016 Alpha Chi Inspirational Faculty Award, Fresno Pacific University
- 2014 President’s Distinguished Service Award Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2014 Faculty Merit Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2013 Nickel Excellence in Teaching Award (NETA) Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2005-06 Full Fellowship, Center for Advanced Theological Studies, Fuller Seminary
Selected Credentials & Certifications
- 2016–Licensed toward Ordination, First Chinese Baptist Church (ABC), Fresno, CA
- 2002–Compassion Fatigue: the Cost of Caring seminar, NASW
- 1999–Supervision Training II (1.8 C.E.U.), NAMB/SBC
- 1998–Supervision Training I (1.8 C.E.U.), NAMB/SBC
- 1989–Licensed to Gospel Ministry, First Southern Baptist Church, Glendale, AZ
Publications & Presentations
- Transforming Pastoral Leadership: Reimagining Congregational Relationships for Changing Contexts, Eugene, OR: Wipf&Stock: Pickwick, 2016.
- Co-Authored with Julie M Lane. Welcoming Children with Special Need: Empowering Christian Special Education with Purpose, Policies, and Procedures. Bloomington, IN: WestBow, 2014.
- Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- “The Pastor as Expert and the Challenge of Being a Saltwater Fish in a Freshwater Tank,” Journal of Religious Leadership 13:1 (spring 2014), 1-30.
- “Entering Each Other’s Story en la Frontera: The Nature of Narrative as Identity Formation in the Context of Conflicting Narratives and Some Implications for Intercultural Congregational Life,” Pacific Journal 6 (2011), 3-27.
- “Shepherd or One of the Sheep?: Revisiting the Biblical Metaphor of the Pastorate,” Journal of Religious Leadership 9:1 (spring 2010): 59-91.
- “The Social Trinity and the Southwest: Toward a Local Theology in the Borderlands,” Perspectives in Religious Studies: Journal of the National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion 35:3 (fall 2008): 261-81.
- Ministry & Opinion Articles:
- “Celebrating our Parents, Mourning our Losses,” Christian Leader, (April/May 2014) http://www.usmb.org/celebrating-parents-mourning-losses.
- “Misinterpreted Scripture Protects Domestic Abusers.” EthicsDaily.com, Baptist Center for Ethics (October 4, 2010) http://www.ethicsdaily.com/misinterpreted-scripture-protects-domestic-abusers-cms-16791.
- “Abusers Distort the Bible to Justify Violence!” EthicsDaily.com, Baptist Center for Ethics (October 1, 2009) http://www.ethicsdaily.com/abusers-distort-bible-to-justify-domestic-violence-cms-14959.
- “Regarding Race: The Opportunity and the Challenge of the Obama Presidency,” Scholars Speak (February 5, 2009) http://www.fresno.edu/scholars_speak/quentin _kinnison/02_04_09.asp.
- “Recapture Values that Reflect God” EthicsDaily.com, Baptist Center for Ethics (October 22, 2008) http://www.ethicsdaily.com/recapture-values-that-reflect-god-cms-13349.
- Book Reviews:
- “Review of Sacred Subdivisions: The Postsuburban Transformation of American Evangelicalism by Justin G. Wilford,” Center for Community Transformation, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA (Aug 7, 2013) http://transformcentralvalley.org/transformational-bookshelf/review-sacred-subdivisions-postsuburban-transformation-american.
- “God’s New-Humanity Artwork: Review of Bruce Milne’s Dynamic Diversity: Bridging Class, Age, Race, and Gender in the Church,” Pacific Journal 4 (2009): 125-28.
- Academic Seminars/Presentations:
- “Toward a Theology of Inclusion for Children & Families Affected by Disability,” presenter, Children’s Spirituality Conference: Christian Perspectives, Nashville, TN. June12-14, 2016.
- Stronger Together: Central Valley Disability Summit featuring Joni Earekson Tada, co-developer and co-director, a summit provided in partnership with Central Valley Joni & Friends, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA. October 24-25, 2014.
- “Seeing Disability Ministry through God’s Eyes,” presenter, Stronger Together: Central Valley Disability Summit, a summit provided in partnership with Central Valley Joni & Friends, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA. October 25, 2014.
- “Migration and Resettlement,” co-facilitator, Global Anabaptist Peace-builders Institute, West Coast Mennonite Central Committee in partnership with Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA. June 17-25, 2011, June 15-22, 2012.
- “Issues in Immigration,” panelist, Immigration Seminar: A Christian Perspective with Dr. Daniel Carroll R. Ph.D., MB Biblical Seminary at Fresno Pacific University in partnership with Mennonite Central Committee, No Name Fellowship, Council for Senior Professionals, and the Pacific District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, Fresno, CA. October 28, 2010.
- Beyond Suffering: Christian Views on Disability, co-developer and co-director, a seminar provided in partnership with Central Valley Joni & Friends, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA. October 1-2, 2010.
- “The Social Trinity and the Southwest: Toward a Local Theology in the Borderlands,” presenter. American Academy of Religion–West Region, Tempe, AZ. March 15, 2010.
- Ministry Presentations:
- “Disability Summit for the Central Valley,” interviewed on Perspectives on Faith and Culture, episode 21, KNXT, aired September 18, 2014.
- “Ministering to the needs of exceptional children and people of all ages,” interviewed on Perspectives on Faith and Culture, episode 20, KNXT, aired September 4, 2014.
- “When Disability Comes to Church: Preparing for when, not if,” presenter, Bakersfield Ministry Conference, Bakersfield, CA. October 19, 2013.
- “Hope for the Way Forward: The Leadership of Change,” presenter, Engage 2013 with David Kinnaman, engage2013.org, Visalia, CA. May16-18, 2013.
- “Domestic Violence and the Response of the Local Church Pastor,” Co-facilitator. Desert Pines Baptist Association, Snowflake, AZ. May 8, 2008.