- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary, Theology-Practical Theology emphasis & Systematic Theology minor
- M.Div., Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, Arizona Regional Campus
- B.A., Grand Canyon University, Bible, English Literature
As an Anabaptist, evangelical, and ecumenical institution, Fresno Pacific University draws faculty from across the Christian faith spectrum. As a result we engage one another in conversations that deepen our appreciation for how God works in our various traditions as we all faithfully seek to follow Jesus and participate in the Kingdom's work. As a teaching institution, faculty interaction with students focuses on learning and faculty participation in that transformative process through relationship. We pursue a holistic approach, engaging students and empowering them to find their fit in God's work.
I was born in Wyoming, but consider Phoenix, Arizona, home. In 1973, I made my faith commitment to Jesus at Twin Lakes Baptist Church in Las Vegas, Nevada, and was baptized in 1976 at First Southern Baptist Church in Glendale, Arizona—the same church that licensed me to the ministry in 1989. My wife, Cindy, and I were married in 1990. She has her B.S. in sociology, an M.S.W., and a D.Min. with emphasis in church social work. We had the joy of being on staff together at First Southern Baptist Church in Phoenix, Arizona, where she was a church social worker. We have one child, Carissa, whom we adopted in 2009 from the Guangdong province in China. I enjoy most strategy games, reading fiction, basketball, golf and Pixar movies (especially the shorts).
Selected Ministry Experience
- Joni & Friends Central California Family Camp, Wonder Valley, CA. March 19-25, 2016.
- Mennonite Senior High Youth Camp. Camp Keola, Huntington Lake, CA. July 26-August 1, 2009, July 18-24, 2010.
Minister of Discipleship/Administration
1998 – 2003 First Southern Baptist Church, Phoenix, AZ
1996 – 1997 Arrowhead Baptist Church, Phoenix, AZ
1995 – 1996 First Baptist Church, Ajo, AZ
1993 – 1995 South Jefferson Baptist Church, Louisville, KY
1989 – 1992 First Southern Baptist Church, Glendale, AZ
- 2015. Louisville Institute, with Dr. Julie M. Lane (primary investigator, FPU) & Dr. Rick Eigenbrood (SPU) (funded: $23, 440).
Awards & Honors
- 2018 Alpha Chi Inspirational Faculty Award, Fresno Pacific University
- 2017 Faculty Merit Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2016 Alpha Chi Inspirational Faculty Award, Fresno Pacific University
- 2014 President’s Distinguished Service Award Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2014 Faculty Merit Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2013 Nickel Excellence in Teaching Award (NETA) Recipient, Fresno Pacific University
- 2005-06 Full Fellowship, Center for Advanced Theological Studies, Fuller Seminary
Selected Credentials & Certifications
- 2018–Grant Writing for Professionals (1.6 C.E.U.), Grant Writing USA/FPU
- 2017–Human Subjects Research Basic (6 AMA PRA C.E.U.), CITI-University of Miami
- 2016–Licensed toward Ordination, First Chinese Baptist Church (ABC), Fresno, CA
- 2002–Compassion Fatigue: the Cost of Caring seminar, NASW
- 1999–Supervision Training II (1.8 C.E.U.), NAMB/SBC
- 1998–Supervision Training I (1.8 C.E.U.), NAMB/SBC
- 1989–Licensed to Gospel Ministry, First Southern Baptist Church, Glendale, AZ
Publications & Presentations
- A Road Too Short for the Long Journey: Reflections and Resources to Support Grieving People, Editor, Eugene, OR: Wipf&Stock: Pickwick, 2019
- “Creating Inclusive and Hospitable Christian Schools: Three Case Studies.” Journal for Disability and Religion, (January 21, 2019)
- “Making Room for Students in Our World,” Didaktikos: Journal of Theological Education 2:1 (July 2018): 8-9.
- “Ministering to the needs of exceptional children and people of all ages,” interviewed on Perspectives on Faith and Culture, episode 20, KNXT, aired September 4, 2014.
- “When Disability Comes to Church: Preparing for when, not if,” presenter, Bakersfield Ministry Conference, Bakersfield, CA. October 19, 2013.
- “Hope for the Way Forward: The Leadership of Change,” presenter, Engage 2013 with David Kinnaman, engage2013.org, Visalia, CA. May16-18, 2013.
- “Toward a Theology of Inclusion for Children & Families Affected by Disability,” presenter, Children’s Spirituality Conference: Christian Perspectives, Nashville, TN. June12-14, 2016.
- Transforming Pastoral Leadership: Reimagining Congregational Relationships for Changing Contexts, Eugene, OR: Wipf&Stock: Pickwick, 2016.
- “Celebrating our Parents, Mourning our Losses,” Christian Leader, (April/May 2014).
- “Disability Summit for the Central Valley,” interviewed on Perspectives on Faith and Culture, episode 21, KNXT, aired September 18, 2014.
- “Seeing Disability Ministry through God’s Eyes,” presenter, Stronger Together: Central Valley Disability Summit, a summit provided in partnership with Central Valley Joni & Friends, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA. October 25, 2014.
- “The Pastor as Expert and the Challenge of Being a Saltwater Fish in a Freshwater Tank,” Journal of Religious Leadership 13:1 (spring 2014), 1-30.
- Co-Authored with Julie M Lane. Welcoming Children with Special Need: Empowering Christian Special Education with Purpose, Policies, and Procedures. Bloomington, IN: WestBow, 2014.
- “Migration and Resettlement,” co-facilitator, Global Anabaptist Peace-builders Institute, West Coast Mennonite Central Committee in partnership with Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA. June 17-25, 2011, June 15-22, 2012.
- “Entering Each Other’s Story en la Frontera: The Nature of Narrative as Identity Formation in the Context of Conflicting Narratives and Some Implications for Intercultural Congregational Life,” Pacific Journal 6 (2011), 3-27.
- “Misinterpreted Scripture Protects Domestic Abusers.” EthicsDaily.com, Baptist Center for Ethics (October 4, 2010) http://www.ethicsdaily.com/misinterpreted-scripture-protects-domestic-abusers-cms-16791.
- “Shepherd or One of the Sheep?: Revisiting the Biblical Metaphor of the Pastorate,” Journal of Religious Leadership 9:1 (spring 2010): 59-91.
- "The Social Trinity and the Southwest: toward a local theology in the borderlands" National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion (2008)