The Teacher Librarian Program offers coursework leading to a California Teacher Librarian Services Credential. The effective teacher librarian works collaboratively with classroom teachers to develop and implement standards-based learning experiences for diverse student populations; selects, organizes, manages, and promotes the use of learning resources in all formats; and instructs students and staff in the critical evaluation, appropriate access, and effective use of information.
The mission of the Teacher Librarian Program at Fresno Pacific University is to prepare professional educators to develop and maintain high quality library media and curricular programs by serving as information and technology specialists, instructional leaders, and collaborative partners in K-12 schools.
Candidates may obtain the California Emergency Teacher Librarian Services Permit to gain employment as a teacher librarian in California K-12 public schools while completing the credential coursework.
Read more about this program on the Leading from the Library blog.
- Accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Fully online program allows candidates to complete coursework on their own schedule and from any location
- Rigorous and relevant course content focused exclusively on the school library program with a strong emphasis on collaboration, teaching, and the use of educational technology
- All courses taught by experienced and accomplished teacher librarians
- Emphasis on community and connection to the broader teacher librarian network
- Supportive and caring faculty
- School Librarian
- Technology Coach
- Professional Development Provider
- Application form and fee
- Statement of intent
- Official transcripts verifying BA/BS degree
- Minimum 3.0 GPA, Letter of Explanation if below 3.0
- Valid California teaching credential
- Verification of passing CBEST
- Three current (within one year) Graduate Reference form
- Orientation interview with program director
Required Courses (27 Units)
|LIB 705||Information Technologies||3|
|LIB 710||Instructional Partnerships||3|
|LIB 715||Administration of the School Media Center||3|
|LIB 720||Selection and Organization of Learning Resources||3|
|LIB 725||Information Services||3|
|LIB 732||Evaluation and Promotion of Children's Literature||3|
|LIB 736||Evaluation and Promotion of Young Adult Literature||3|
|LIB 740||Digital Literacy||3|
|LIB 792||Field Studies in School Librarianship||3|
Special Class Authorization (SCA)
Fresno Pacific University offers this course to teacher librarians who currently hold a clear Teacher Librarian Services credential and wish to add this authorization to their credential. The SCA allows teacher librarians to teach information and digital literacy in a self-contained classroom setting.
|LIB 751||Twenty-First Century School Librarianship||3|