Communication is fundamental to the human experience and lies at the heart of any successful career. The sharing of ideas and feelings through written, spoken, non-verbal and mediated messages allows us to engage with the world around us. As a communication major at Fresno Pacific University, you'll take classes from faculty with wide ranging expertise—including performance, writing, film and media studies—and apply your knowledge with a required internship. Whether you’re debating the meaning behind words in Philosophy of Language or understanding how pop culture influences communities in Media and Society, you’ll find new connections to those around you, to your work and to the broader world. Through the focused study of communication, you’ll learn to craft your own story, while learning to listen to others.
- Participate in The Syrinx, the award-winning student newspaper
- Work one-on-one with faculty and create a senior project unique to your interests
- Required internships in social media, marketing, tutoring, public relations, business, writing, non-profit organizations, churches and mentoring
- Study opportunities with the CCCU programs Strategic Communication in the American Studies Program, Washington, D.C., and Film Studies in the Los Angeles Film Studies Center, Hollywood, CA
- Core courses in communication theory and rhetoric with individual emphases in Media and Film Studies, Multimedia Production or Communication Studies
Our graduates have careers in public relations, social media management, video production, church media, journalism, marketing and teaching. Students will also be prepared for graduate studies in fine arts, law and business. With this degree, you'll bring an essential understanding of human interaction, leading you to success in multiple settings, including religious, entrepreneurial, educational, non-profit, government and NGOs.
Transferring to Fresno Pacific
FPU is a partner school with Transferology, a web-based tool that allows you to match the courses you’ve already taken with FPU programs. Visit Transferology.com to create an account and get started.
In order to obtain a bachelor’s degree from Fresno Pacific University, students must complete at least 120 units. Along with completing all required courses in their selected area of study, general education requirements must be met by all graduates. See the general education summary in the undergraduate academic catalog for more information.
Select programs may not provide enough units for a student to graduate and therefore an emphasis and/or elective courses must be completed alongside the major. Please see below for emphases related to this area of study.
General Education Prerequisites (9 Units)
|COM 110 or|
COM 110A and
Written Communication I
Written Communication II
|COM 120||Oral Communication||3|
Required Courses (19-21 Units)
|COM 368||Ancient and Medieval Rhetoric||3|
|COM 400||Intercultural Communication||3|
|COM 450||Communication Theory||3|
|COM 455||Philosophy of Language||3|
|COM 460||Projects in Communication||3|
|COM 496||Communication Internship||1 - 3|
This program requires an emphasis