As a kinesiology major with an emphasis in physical education teaching at Fresno Pacific University, you will be prepared to teach physical education in a single-subject setting within schools. In addition to the core classes in human anatomy, biomechanics and physiology of exercise, you’ll learn instructional strategies to teach within a K-12 curriculum. Using California state guidelines, this degree will give you a broad content base and prepare you to pass the CSET examination, which is required prior to entry into a teacher education program.
- Emphasis courses allow you to gain a broad knowledge of physical activities for an educational setting
- Small class sizes allow for more a personalized education and mentoring opportunities
The physical education teaching emphasis is designed specifically to prepare you to teach physical education in a K-12 educational system and will readily prepare you to enter a teacher education program.
Note: Emphasis courses are additional courses that are to be completed alongside the general education and parent program requirements as dictated by the Fresno Pacific University catalog. Please review the course requirements for baccalaureate programs and the general education summary in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog.
Emphasis Courses (17 Units)
|KIN 320||Theory of Physical Education||3|
|KIN 340||Measurement Evaluation||3|
|KIN 345||Analysis of Individual and Dual Sports||2|
|KIN 351||Analysis of Team Sports||2|
|KIN 359||Analysis of Fundamental Movements||1|
|KIN 368||Analysis of Aquatics||1|
|KIN 369||Analysis of Fitness Activities||1|
|KIN 370||Analysis of Non-Traditional Sports||1|
|KIN 375||Analysis of Dance||2|
Teacher Education Program Information
Students who are interested in applying for admission to the teacher education program should consult with their academic advisors and/or contact the regional enrollment office prior to (2 or more semesters before) completion of their degrees.
Applicants to the teacher education program are required to complete the following in order to be considered for admission.
- Online application
- Cumulative gpa of 3.0 or higher
- A written request to waive the gpa requirement can be submitted for program director consideration.
- Three letters of reference
- Personal statement documenting experience working with youth la 385 - critical approaches to teaching is recommended to students, as it provides school-based experiences with youth that meet this requirement.
- Verifications of negative tb test and certificate of clearance.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete the required tests prior to admission to the credential program. students must meet established testing requirements to progress into the student teaching or internship phase of the teacher education program.
- Passing results on cbest
- Passing results on cset for area of credential
Required Co-requisite Courses
Students are strongly encouraged to complete the required co-requisite courses as part of their undergraduate programs. if not completed prior to admission to the teacher education program, the equivalent graduate-level courses can be added to a student’s academic plan for the credential program.
|LANG 340||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|PSY 355||Adolescent Development||3|
or HIST 150
|American Politics and Society|
or American Civilization
Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Information
Kinesiology (AS-T) to Kinesiology: Physical Education Teaching, B.A
BA courses fulfilled through ADT:
- All lower-division General Education requirements fulfilled
- BA co-requisites and major courses fulfilled through ADT:
- KIN 251 Foundations of Kinesiology (3)
- BIOL 331/331L Human Anatomy (4) [Lower to Upper Division]
- BIOL 332/332L Human Physiology (4) [Lower to Upper Division]
- This program is offered as daytime traditional
ADT Guarantee is the completion of BA/BS degree in 68 units.