With this emphasis, you will be prepared to teach physical education in a single-subject classes within schools. Traditionally this has been in grades 7-12, but increasingly school districts are hiring physical education specialists for the elementary grades as well. Using California state guidelines, the emphasis has been designed to give you a broad content base in order to prepare you to pass the CSET examination, which is required prior to entry into a teacher education program.
- In addition to the core classes in human anatomy and physiology, biomechanics and sport history, courses explore dance movements and motor learning and analyzes many of the sports found in K-12.
The secondary teaching emphasis is designed specifically to prepare you to teach health fitness, kinesiology or sports science, and/or coach in a K-12 school.
Note: Emphasis courses are additional courses that are to be completed alongside the general education and parent program requirements as dictated by the Fresno Pacific University catalog. Please review the course requirements for baccalaureate programs and the general education summary in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog.
Emphasis Courses (17 Units)
|KIN 320||Theory of Physical Education||3|
|KIN 340||Measurement Evaluation||3|
|KIN 345||Analysis of Individual and Dual Sports||2|
|KIN 351||Analysis of Team Sports||2|
|KIN 359||Analysis of Fundamental Movements||1|
|KIN 368||Analysis of Aquatics||1|
|KIN 369||Analysis of Fitness Activities||1|
|KIN 370||Analysis of Non-Traditional Sports||1|
|KIN 375||Analysis of Dance||2|
Teacher Education Program Information
Students who are interested in applying for admission to the teacher education program should consult with their academic advisors and/or contact the regional enrollment office prior to (2 or more semesters before) completion of their degrees.
Applicants to the teacher education program are required to complete the following in order to be considered for admission.
- Online application
- Cumulative gpa of 3.0 or higher
- A written request to waive the gpa requirement can be submitted for program director consideration.
- Three letters of reference
- Personal statement documenting experience working with youth la 385 - critical approaches to teaching is recommended to students, as it provides school-based experiences with youth that meet this requirement.
- Verifications of negative tb test and certificate of clearance.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete the required tests prior to admission to the credential program. students must meet established testing requirements to progress into the student teaching or internship phase of the teacher education program.
- Passing results on cbest
- Passing results on cset for area of credential
Required Co-requisite Courses
Students are strongly encouraged to complete the required co-requisite courses as part of their undergraduate programs. if not completed prior to admission to the teacher education program, the equivalent graduate-level courses can be added to a student’s academic plan for the credential program.
|LANG 340||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
|PSY 355||Adolescent Development||3|
or HIST 150
|American Politics and Society|
or American Civilization