Brian Ross, D.Min.
The Presbyterian Certificate provides the skills and courses essential to meet Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA) and other reformed tradition’s ordination requirements. This Certificate is designed to be embedded in an Master of Divinity (M.Div.) for those planning to pursue ordination in a reformed denomination.
This program was developed in collaboration with local leaders from the San Joaquin presbytery of the PCUSA denomination. Students will gain a better understanding of reformed history, reformed church polity and biblical exegesis. The certificate is also offered for those who already hold an M.Div.
- Graduates will meet ordination prerequisites set by Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA)
- Program developed with local Presbyterian leaders
- Opportunities to learn from local partnering pastors, including PCUSA Senior Pastor, Rev. Renn Serna
- Online courses available
- Fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Ability to earn Presbyterian Certificate simultaneously with Master of Divinity for an additional three units
Lynn Jost, Ph.D.
Tim Geddert, Ph.D.
Mark Baker, Ph.D.
Stephen Varvis, Ph.D.
Other Programs of Interest
Main Fresno Campus
Required Courses (22 units)
Biblical and Theological Studies (17 Units)
- BIB 751 - Old Testament Theology and Exegesis Credits 3
- BIB 753 - New Testament Theology and Exegesis Credits 3
- BLIT Elective Credits 3
- THEO 754 - Reformed Theology I Credits 3
- THEO 755 - Reformed Theology II Credits 2
- THEO 757 - Presbyterian Reformed History and Confessions Credits 3
Personal and Holistic Formation (3 units)
- MIN 747 - Reformed Worship Credits 3
Missional and Practical Application (2 units)
- THEO 752 - Presbyterian Polity Credits 3
- THEO 752 - Presbyterian Polity Credits 3
With and FPU Education
Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary is rooted in the evangelical, Anabaptist tradition, and like you, we are passionate about making a tangible difference in the Central Valley and around the world. You’ll learn this through spirited inquiry, thoughtful reflection and hands-on experience. If you want a place to explore and pursue your calling in a practical way – join us!
First Steps to Admission
- Review the admission requirements for your chosen program.
- Submit an application for admission online
* There is a $90 application fee.
- Request official transcripts from previously attended colleges, universities and high schools and send electronically to email@example.com
- If you graduated from FPU, you do not need to request transcripts.
- Submit remaining admission requirements via fax, email or postal mail.
- Mail: Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary Admission, 1717 S. Chestnut Ave., Box 14, Fresno, CA 93702
- Email: Seminary@fresno.edu
- Commitment to and desire for Christian ministry and Service
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (minimum 2.5 GPA; 3.0 for MFT program*)
- Application form and fee
- Personal profile questions
- Three references from a pastor or other ministry leader, a current or former employer, and a friend or family member using the Seminary Reference Form
- Please do not use a family member as the pastoral or employer reference
- Writing sample from your undergraduate education
- This can be any paper submitted for a letter grade regardless of subject
- Check your specific program's requirements
*Under special circumstances these requirements may be waived.
- FPU Undergraduate Alumni Admission
Undergraduate alumni (traditional and degree completion) pursuing a graduate program at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary may have courses waived towards their seminary program. Students must complete the qualifying undergraduate course with a grade of B or higher to receive seminary course credit. Once students have been admitted to a seminary program, they must complete the Advanced Standing form in Sunbird Central to officially request advanced standing at the seminary.
- Admission with a GPA below 2.5 or below 3.0 for the MFT program
In some circumstances, we are willing to waive the GPA requirement if the student demonstrates high maturity and/or life experience that demonstrates they can perform well in the program. We take into account their ministry experience for BIB/MIN programs, their GRE score, volunteer counseling hours experience and psych pre-requisites for the MFT degree. We encourage people with a low GPA to still apply so we can look over their materials.
- Admission without a Bachelor's Degree
Students will be considered for admission to Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary into the M.Div., M.A.CM, M.A. CLT, or M.A. MLC degrees or one of our certificate programs without the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree if they have:
- 60 semester units or two years of post-secondary education minimum
- Significant ministry experience
- Evidence of life experience which has prepared them for graduate theological education
In compliance with the Association of Theological Schools such students may only pursue the degree or program to which they have applied.
- Additional Bible Knowledge Requirement
The Bible Knowledge Requirement (BKR) is a one-day, no credit class with an examination at the end of the day. The BKR is required to be met during the first month of your first term.
- Non-Matriculated Students
Students may enroll in up to 6 units of courses for credit/audit at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary without being admitted into a degree or certificate program. This is considered a non-matriculated status.
Cost & Financial Aid
The below listed prices reflect the current and upcoming Fall and Spring semesters and do not include any financial aid. Paying for college can be an overwhelming step in education your journey. We can help you find all the opportunities to reduce your out of pocket costs.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition per Unit Amount Theology / Bib / Religion $495 MFT / Counseling $550 Other Costs Amount Student Body Fee $115 Seminary Technology $50
Tuition per Unit Amount Theology / Bib / Religion $485 MFT / Counseling $540 Other Costs Amount Student Body Fee $115 Seminary Technology $50
* This is an estimate. Costs subject to change. Cost of attendance figures are used for budgeting purposes only and represent an estimate of projected tuition and fees for the coming academic year. Actual tuition rates are approved by the Board of Trustees and may vary.
Types of aid
Financial aid can refer to scholarships, grants and loans, which are available to you from the government, the university or outside sources. Aid types vary depending on the type of student you are.
Career Development Happens Here
The staff in our Career Development and Experiential Learning Center are here to help you prepare to enter the working world. Whether your a freshman or an FPU alum, there are a number of resources and trainings offered to help you find the internship and job you’re looking for.
- Resume writing classes
- Career assessments, exploration & planning
- Job search and networking opportunities
- and much more