The Teacher Librarian Program offers coursework leading to a California Teacher Librarian Services Credential and a Master of Arts in Education degree with a school library and information technology emphasis. The effective teacher librarian (also known as school librarian, library media teacher, and library media specialist) works collaboratively with classroom teachers to develop and implement standards-based learning experiences for diverse student populations; selects, organizes, manages, and promotes the use of learning resources in all formats; and instructs students and staff in the critical evaluation, appropriate access, and effective use of information.
The mission of the Teacher Librarian Program at Fresno Pacific University is to prepare professional educators to develop and maintain high quality library media and curricular programs by serving as information and technology specialists, instructional leaders, and collaborative partners in K-12 schools.
Candidates have three coursework options within the program:
- Credential only (CA candidates only)
- Credential + Master of Arts degree (CA candidates only)
- Master of Arts degree (all out-of-state candidates and/or those that do not hold a CA teaching credential)
Coursework may also be taken on a non-matriculated basis if desired.
Read more about this program on the Leading from the Library blog.
- Accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Fully online program allows candidates to complete coursework on their own schedule and from any location
- Rigorous and relevant course content focused exclusively on the school library program with a strong emphasis on collaboration, teaching, and the use of educational technology
- All courses taught by experienced and accomplished teacher librarians
- Emphasis on community and connection to the broader teacher librarian network
- Supportive and caring faculty
- School Librarian
- Technology Coach
- Professional Development Provider