The biology major will provide you with an understanding of the unifying concepts of biology. You will study a range of topics such as molecular biology, global ecosystems, human biology and the diversity of life. With a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Biology, you’ll gain greater flexibility in your undergraduate coursework. This flexibility may be used to incorporate a minor, a second major, a study abroad program or additional elective courses.
- General biology emphasis - provides the maximum flexibility to craft a major to suit particular interests. Students are encouraged to consider off-campus summer programs and semester abroad programs for additional course enrichment.
- Secondary teaching emphasis - for students interested in teaching secondary biology.
- Flexibility to craft a major to suit your particular interests
- Off-campus summer and study abroad programs encouraged
- Secondary teaching emphasis offered
Common careers for biologists include teacher, researcher and environmental scientist. Our graduates are also well-prepared for graduate study, including teacher credential programs, master’s and doctoral research.
Alan Thompson, Ph.D.
General Education Prerequisites
|BIOL 111||General Biology: Cells and Physiology||4|
|CHEM 103||General Chemistry I||4|
Required Courses (30 Units)
|BIOL 121||General Biology: Diversity and Ecology||4|
|BIOL 332||Human Physiology||4|
|BIOL 470||History and Philosophy of Science||3|
|BIOL 485||Senior Seminar in Biology||1|
|CHEM 104||General Chemistry II||4|
|MATH 311||Statistics for the Natural Sciences||3|
General Emphasis Required Courses (18 Units)
- One course in chemistry, mathematics or physical science (3- 4 units)
- Upper division biology (5units minimum)
- Additional courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics or physical sciences to complete 48 units in the major.
Secondary Teaching Emphasis Required Courses (18 Units)
|PHYS 120||General Physics I||4|
|PHYS 150||Earth Science||3|
- Additional courses in biology, physical sciences or la 385 - critical approaches to teaching to complete 48 units in the major.
Teacher Education Program
- Students who are interested in applying for admission to the teacher education program should refer to the graduate school description of admissions requirements for the program and obtain academic advising from the program at least two semesters prior to completion of their degrees.
- LA 385 - Critical Approaches to Teaching is recommended to students, as it provides school-based experiences with youth.