As a biology major at Fresno Pacific University, you’ll explore big questions and learn to navigate faith and science in your studies. Courses will take you to diverse habitats, from studying the principles of ecology at Kings Canyon National Park to analyzing fish behavior along California’s Central Coast. You'll study a range of topics, including molecular biology, global ecosystems, human biology and the diversity of life, preparing for a range of careers in science and beyond. Study under professors who have specialized in a wide range of topics, from entomology to mechanical engineering, and explore opportunities to delve into research projects. With B.A., you’ll have greater flexibility in your coursework as you choose an emphasis of interest to you.
- Craft a major to suit your particular interests with Environmental, Human Health, Secondary Teaching or an Individualized emphasis.
- Off-campus summer and study abroad programs encouraged
- Join the on-campus, environmental 'Shalom Club' to work on the campus garden and take trips around California with classmates
Common careers for biologists include teacher, researcher, lab coordinator and environmental scientist. Our graduates are also well-prepared for medical and graduate studies, including teacher credential programs, master’s and doctoral research.
Transferring to Fresno Pacific
FPU is a partner school with Transferology, a web-based tool that allows you to match the courses you’ve already taken with FPU programs. Visit Transferology.com to create an account and get started.
Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Information
1. Biology (AS-T) to Biology, B.A.
BA courses fulfilled through ADT:
- All lower-division General Education requirements fulfilled
- BA co-requisites and major courses fulfilled through ADT:
- BIOL 111 General Biology: Cells and Physiology (4)
- BIOL 121 General Biology: Diversity and Ecology (4)
- CHEM 103 General Chemistry I (4)
- CHEM 104 General Chemistry II (4)
- MATH 210 Calculus I (4) [*replaces MATH-140]
- This program is offered as daytime traditional
ADT Guarantee is the completion of BA/BS degree in 68 units.
In order to obtain a bachelor’s degree from Fresno Pacific University, students must complete at least 120 units. Along with completing all required courses in their selected area of study, general education requirements must be met by all graduates. See the general education summary in the undergraduate academic catalog for more information.
Select programs may not provide enough units for a student to graduate and therefore an emphasis and/or elective courses must be completed alongside the major. Please see below for emphases related to this area of study.
General Education Prerequisites
|BIOL 111||General Biology: Cells and Physiology||4|
|CHEM 103||General Chemistry I||4|
Required Courses (30 Units)
|BIOL 121||General Biology: Diversity and Ecology||4|
|BIOL 332||Human Physiology||4|
|BIOL 470||History and Philosophy of Science||3|
|BIOL 485BIO||Senior Seminar||2|
|CHEM 104||General Chemistry II||4|
|MATH 205||Introductory Statistics||3|
Emphasis Required Courses (18 Units)
One course in chemistry, mathematics or physical science (3- 4 units)
Upper division biology (5units minimum)
Additional courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics or physical sciences to complete 48 units in the major.