Skip to main content

Transfer Policy

Transfer Policy

All documents used for transcript evaluation must be official and unopened.

1. Transfer Policy
The university grants transfer credit in accordance with the following criteria:
  1. Transfer work is evaluated using the current FPU transfer agreement for the transfer school at the time of evaluation.
  2. The course credit is from approved higher educational institutions: The following institutions with accreditation recognized by CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation).
    1. Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
    2. Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
    3. Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
    4. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NCCU)
    5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
    6. WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
    7. WASC Accrediting Commission for Community Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
    8. Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE)
    9. Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
    10. Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS)
    11. Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools (AARTS)

    Those types of credit listed under Other Types of Undergraduate Credit below.
  3. A grade of C- or better was earned in the course.

    Note: If a transfer student has completed an Associate’s Degree for Transfer (ADT) from the California community college system or submitted the appropriate general education transfer certification, and received a grade lower than C- in one of those courses, then the student may have the associated general education requirement waived. This waived requirement will affect the number of elective credits a student must take to complete their degree.
  4. The course content does not overlap or repeat courses already completed or to be completed at Fresno Pacific University or another institution.

    Please Note: Transfer credit that does not fall within these designated learning experiences will not be accepted in transfer at Fresno Pacific University. See complete transfer policy here.
2. Transfer Course Maximums

A combined maximum of 90-semester units from all sources may be transferred to Fresno Pacific University. This 90-semester unit limit can include work from the following sources:

  1. Regionally accredited two-year institutions (70 semester unit maximum)
  2. Regionally accredited four-year institutions (90 semester unit maximum)
  3. Advanced Placement [AP], College Level Examination Program [CLEP], International Baccalaureate [IB], Military/ACE, ACE, and unaccredited institutions (30 semester unit maximum).
  4. A maximum of 8 total units of activity courses in art, theater, music, journalism, physical education, and athletics, with a maximum of 4 units in a single area. Activity courses required in a major or minor may exceed this limit.
  5. A maximum of 15 units of courses taken under the credit/no credit Option Policy may be applied toward degree requirements. See the university catalog here for specific details.
  6. A maximum of 6 units of graduate credit may be applied toward a bachelor’s degree. See the university catalog at for specific details.
  7. International College/University Transfer Credit - see International College/University Transfer
3. Other Types of Undergraduate Credit
  1. Credit/No Credit: Courses with a credit/no credit may be transferred providing that the standard for the pass grade is equal to or above a grade of C- at the institution from which the course is taken. Credit/no credit courses transfer as elective study credit only and cannot fulfill General Education or Major requirements.
  2. ACE Courses: Units will be awarded for documented, college-level learning based upon American Council of Education (ACE) recommendations. ACE courses transfer as elective study credit only and cannot fulfill General Education or Major requirements. Students with ACE units should request a transcript from the ACE
  3. Military Courses: Units awarded for documented military training are based upon the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services recommendations or official transcripts from military branches. To request military transcripts, please go to the following sites:Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy or Air Force
  4. CLEP Exams: Credit for CLEP subject examinations is equal to that of the Fresno Pacific University. The university will use the minimum score for awarding credit according to ACE recommendations. See CLEP Exam Chart [DC] or CLEP Exam Chart [TUG].
  5. AP Exams: Students may be granted a maximum of 3 semester units of credit for each subject in which they have submitted scores of 3 or higher on Advanced Placement Tests. See AP Exam Chart [DC] or AP Exam Chart [TUG].
  6. International Baccalaureate [IB] Exams. See the IB Exam Chart[TUG only]

Transfer Courses from Local Colleges and Universities

If you are transferring coursework from local community colleges or four-year universities, please refer to the links below for information on how your courses will transfer to Fresno Pacific University.

Transfer Coursework To FPU

Frequently Asked Questions

How many units can I transfer?

The university can give credit for no more than 70 units of coursework from a two-year or junior college and no more than 90 units from a four-year institution.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Mailed transcripts: Registrar's Office, Fresno Pacific University, 1717 S. Chestnut Ave., Fresno, CA  93702-4709

Electronic transcripts:

Prospective FPU students (applicants) should submit their transcripts to the Admissions Office.

How will I know which classes to take after transferring?

As an incoming transfer student, you will receive an official evaluation of your transfer coursework and be advised by a faculty member representing your major. This official evaluation will determine which requirements you have fulfilled and help you plan an academic program for completing the remaining requirements for graduation.

How do I know if the courses I’m transferring meet FPU’s requirements?

If you are transferring course work from local San Joaquin Valley community colleges or four-year universities, please refer to the link below for information on how your courses will transfer to Fresno Pacific University, you will receive a general education evaluation prior to registering for your classes. Students wishing to transfer to FPU from four-year private, state or military institutions will have their units reviewed on a course-by-course basis by the Registrar’s Office.

Transfer Coursework To FPU Traditional Undergraduate (TUG) Programs

Will I lose credits if I transfer to FPU from a quarter system?

FPU uses a semester system. Quarter units are transferred as two-thirds of a semester unit.

What is the maximum number of units I can transfer?

FPU will accept a maximum of 70 semester units from a community college. Once a student has reached this ceiling, FPU will not accept any additional units from a community college to meet graduation requirements. All transferable credits from a four-year college may be accepted.

Will a D grade transfer?

A minimum C- grade is required for all transferable units.

Will FPU accept College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP) credit?

If you receive an accepted score, you will receive units of credit for each CLEP and AP test. Please review the CLEP Exam and AP Exam charts on the Transfer Coursework page for the accepted scores and semester units that can be received for each successfully completed exam.

I’m thinking about taking a course this summer at a college near my home. What do I do?

If you are planning to take coursework to transfer to Fresno Pacific University from Local San Joaquin Valley community colleges or four-year universities, please refer to the link below for information on how your courses will transfer to Fresno Pacific University.

Transfer Coursework To FPU Traditional Undergraduate (TUG) Programs

If you’re a prospective student (applicant), contact your admissions counselor for more information about transferring courses to FPU.