Verification is a process used to confirm that the data reported on your FAFSA is accurate. About 30% of students are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. You will be asked to provide documentation to support the information reported on the FAFSA.
Fresno Pacific University is utilizing ProVerifier+, an automated verification software solution powered by ProEd Solutions. Students can complete verification from their smartphone, tablet or computer.
If you are selected for verification, you will be notified by an email to your FPU email address. Also, there will be a Verification item on your financial aid checklist in Sunbird Central. Log in to ProVerifier and see what documents are required. You will be required to submit documentation such as Federal Tax Transcripts, W2s, and a verification worksheet by the deadline presented. Financial aid will NOT disburse to your account until your documentation is submitted and reviewed.
NOTE: The priority deadline is March 2nd. The following steps must be completed before March 2nd to be considered for priority awarding.
- Activate your ProEd Account using the email notification sent to your FPU email address. The email will come from email@example.com.
- In ProVerifier+ review the dashboard to see the items that need to be completed.
- Carefully complete and submit each outstanding item. Most items can be completed online and signed electronically.
- You will be able to request your IRS Tax Transcript inside the ProVerifier+ system.
- Upload any documents if necessary.
- Student Financial Services will review your materials and notify you of missing or incomplete items.
What is the IRS Data Retrieval?
The IRS Data Retrieval is a feature of FAFSA on the web, which links your FAFSA with your already filed federal tax information through the IRS. You may update your FAFSA by linking to your federal taxes and pulling your tax data directly from the IRS 'auto-filling" the tax portion of your FAFSA. Taxes submitted electronically require 2-3 weeks before they can be requested. If they were submitted by paper, they will require up to 8-11 weeks. If you do not wish to complete the IRS Data retrieval and are required for verification, you must contact the IRS to request a copy of student and/or parent's IRS tax transcript to provide to Student Financial Services (See below, "Requesting an IRS transcript").
What if I Cannot Complete the IRS Data Retrieval?
If you cannot complete Step 1 (above), you may request an IRS transcript and submit it to Student Financial Services. You must request an IRS transcript if:
- You (or your parent) did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Process either at initial FAFSA filing or through subsequent corrections.
- You changed information after using the IRS Data retrieval process.
- Your tax status is 'Married, filing separately.'
- Your parents filed separate tax returns.
- You (or your parent) had a change in marital status after the end of the tax year on December 31.
- You (or your parent) filed an amended tax return.
- You filed taxes outside the U.S
Requesting an IRS Transcript
- On the IRS website choose "Get Transcript of Your Tax Records" or call 800.908.9946 FREE and request the transcript by phone. You may also request one in writing by completing the IRS form 4506T-EZ and mailing it to the IRS.
- Select the method by which you wish to receive your Tax Return Transcript.
- Fill in the requested information and request the (Tax) Return Transcript.
- Once you receive your transcript submit it to Student Financial Services for verification.