Understanding history is key to preparing for the future. As a history major at Fresno Pacific University, you will gain a broad perspective and develop critical understanding and insight into cultures and events of the past and present, as well as look to the future. The classroom isn’t the only place you’ll learn. Through field studies at local and regional museums, festivals and even travel abroad to places like Italy, Japan and Russia, you’ll experience history first-hand.
- Opportunities to personalize your major in specialized areas of history and classics
- Major includes the study of religion in history and focuses on ideas and culture and how they shape each other
- Participation in sponsored events and symposia, featuring a variety of guest speakers
- Culminating individualized project
- Opportunities to work closely with other programs to enrich majors and involve the campus in plays or readings
Graduates are prepared to pursue advanced study in the disciplines of history, theology, classics, philosophy and education as well as professional fields such as law, library science, archival management and public history. Fresno Pacific has an excellent reputation among local high schools in single-subject credential acquisition. The breadth of training that you receive in our history program is a significant part of the social science subject-area preparation for a career.
W. Marshall Johnston, Ph.D.
General Education Prerequisites
|HIST-130||Medieval and Early Modern Civilizations||4|
Required Courses (32 Units Minimum)
At least one upper-division course in five of the following areas:
- Ancient history
- Medieval, renaissance or reformation history
- Modern european history
- World history
- American history
- Religious or topical history
Sufficient additional courses to complete the number of units required for the major.
|Philosophy of History|
Projects in History
* Usually 2 units per semester in two consecutive semesters