The fall commencement ceremony will be held on Friday, December 16 at 6:30pm at Selland Arena for traditional undergraduate, degree completion and graduate students. Hooding ceremonies will take place just prior to the commencement service in Valdez Hall at 5:00pm. Specific instructions for the hooding ceremonies will be emailed out by each school.
No rehearsal is scheduled. Please read the following instructions.
Where: Selland Arena, Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center, 700 M Street, Fresno, CA 93721
Commencement Regalia: All participants must purchase their own
- Regalia (cap, black gown, tassel and hood, if applicable) may be purchased in the Fresno Pacific Bookshop beginning November 14th. The hours are 9:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- Regalia may be purchased at each regional campus from the FPU Bookshop the week of November 14th and the week of November 28th. Check the postings at your regional campus for specific dates and times.
- Jostens will be at the FPU bookshop on the main campus October 19th and 20th from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and November 16th -17th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jostens will have announcements, class rings and other items for you to view. Check everything out now at www.jostens.com
- The FPU bookshop carries a variety of alumni product and diploma frames; as well as announcements and class rings made available through Jostens. Find everything at www.fresnopacificshop.com
- Students should pick up regalia early since the gowns come packaged and will need to be ironed or steamed.
- Please be aware that you will be walking down an outside ramp and up and down stairs, so appropriate shoes are highly encouraged. For women, pointed heels or stilettos are highly discouraged.
- Ethnic Sashes: Only eligible students representing historically under-represented ethnic minority groups in higher education or other approved sashes will be allowed. Contact Vicencia Abundis for more information at 559-453-3644.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the dignity of the event, and out of respect for your fellow graduates, their families, your faculty and all involved in this ceremony, personal embellishments on caps and/or gowns will not be allowed. The university will have hats in a variety of sizes at the ceremony for any graduate who shows up with an adorned hat.
Entrance and Parking:
- The main entrance for guests is located at the northeast end of the arena.
- The closest parking is directly behind the Selland Arena off O Street, with an additional parking garage at the intersection of O Street and Inyo Street. Parking is $10 per vehicle and it is cash only.
- Metered parking on the streets will also be available. The price to park at a meter is $0.75/per hour. The two-hour meters in the area become four-hour meters after 6:00 p.m.
- We encourage you to have a prearranged meeting location to meet your friends and family following the ceremony. This will help your family and friends find you in a timely manner following the ceremony.
M.A./M.S./MBA Hooding Ceremonies:
- Hooding will not take place during the commencement ceremony.
- Hooding ceremonies will take place at 5:00 p.m. in Valdez Hall (on the 2nd floor) located at the Fresno Convention Center. Please see our Spring Commencement map (included) for information on location of Valdez Hall in relation to Selland Arena
- Specific information on hooding ceremonies will be sent by each school.
Line Up Times and Location:
- All participants are to line up in Valdez Hall. Please see map for location of Valdez Hall in relation to Selland Arena. Line up promptly by 5:45 p.m.
- All candidates should be in their commencement regalia & wearing their hood (master’s candidates only); B.A. candidates wear tassels on the right and M.A. candidates wear tassels on the left. Name cards will be available for pick up when you line up.
- Candidates will need to leave purses and other personal items with guests/family members. There will be no secured areas to store these items during the ceremony.
Commencement Tickets and Seating:
- Doors will open at 5:00 p.m. and the ceremony will start promptly at 6:30 p.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. No tickets are required.
- No balloons or glass vases are permitted in the arena. Please plan accordingly. Air horns and other noise makers are not allowed.
- Concession stands will be open and have food and soda/water available for purchase prior to the ceremony.
- The Fresno Pacific Bookshop will have FPU merchandise/apparel available for sale prior to the ceremony.
- For your family and friends unable to attend, the ceremony will be streamed live and available for viewing by visiting http://fresno.edu/live.
- If you are part of the Twitter or Instagram community tweet us and tag us using #fpugrad
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the dignity of the commencement ceremony, distractions will not be tolerated. Adults or children who display disruptive behavior will be asked to leave the main arena, and escorted out if necessary. If parents choose to bring infants or young children, it is advised that they sit on the aisles with easy access to an exit. Seating and a live feed of the event will be set up on the concourse on the east side of the arena for guests who need to leave the main seating area.
Special Needs Seating and Translation Services:
- Guests in need of a sign language interpreter should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 to make arrangements as soon as possible and no later than Dec 7.
- Guests in need of Spanish translation services should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 by Dec 7 to request services. Reservations are required to ensure enough headsets will be available.
Photography: By Campus Candids, pics4u.com
- Professional photographers will photograph each candidate receiving his/her diploma from the president and at the bottom of the stairs following each student’s recognition on stage. Each candidate will receive a 1x1-inch proof photograph in the mail about two weeks following the ceremony and will be able to order enlargements. For safety reasons, family and friends must take photographs/videos from their seats.
Posting of Degrees: four-six weeks after degree requirements are met
- Completed degrees are posted to transcripts following the completion of all degree requirements and a final evaluation by the Registrar’s Office. The final evaluation process may take up to one month following the last term in which coursework was taken.
Diplomas: Available after degrees are posted
- Only diploma covers are given to students at commencement. Diplomas are mailed approximately one month after degrees have been posted to transcripts, and when all FPU financial obligations have been met. They will be mailed to the address indicated on the application for degree.
Transcripts: Transcripts are the official proof of your degree