The spring commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 4 at 10:00 a.m. at Selland Arena for traditional undergraduate, degree completion and graduate students. Hooding ceremonies will all take place for all schools on Friday evening, May 3 on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University. The seminary hooding ceremony will take place separately from the other schools but is also held on Friday evening, May 3 on the main campus. Specific information for the hooding ceremonies will be sent out by each school.
No rehearsal is scheduled. Please read the following instructions.
LocationSelland Arena, Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center
700 M Street
Fresno, CA 93721
NEW BAG POLICY
The Fresno Convention Center has implemented a new bag policy which will impact those attending commencement. Only approved bags will be permitted in the arena.
Approved bags are those no larger than 12”x 6”x 12”. Diaper bags are allowed. Backpacks are not allowed. Bags will be searched upon entering the arena by convention center staff. The arena will also be a bit cooler than usual as the ice for the Monsters hockey team will be in place underneath the arena floor. Please let your family and other guests know so they can plan accordingly.
Commencement Regalia (apparel)
All participants must purchase their own
Regalia (cap, black gown, tassel and hood, if applicable) is to be purchased online here for undergraduate, graduate and degree completion students. For bachelor’s degree candidates, regalia must be purchased online by April 9 to ensure delivery in time for commencement. For master’s degree candidates, regalia must be purchased online by April 9 to ensure delivery in time for commencement. Regalia that still needs to be purchased after the dates listed above will only be available for purchase at the bookshop on the main campus. To purchase regalia online please visit the Jostens shop.
- Jostens will be at Fresno Pacific Bookshop on the main campus on two separate occasions, once in mid March and the other in early April for you to ask questions and view products in person. Look for information in the bookshop on the main campus or for flyers with more information at your regional campus. Order announcements early! You can preview products and order announcements now at jostens.com.
- The FPU bookshop carries a variety of alumni product and diploma frames, as well as announcements and class rings made available through Jostens. Find everything at fresnopacificshop.com.
- Please be aware that you will be walking up and down stairs, so appropriate shoes are highly encouraged. For women, pointed heels or stilettos are highly discouraged.
REGALIA POLICY: Students will wear the traditional black cap and gown with appropriately colored tassel or graduate hood as designated by their program and school. Ethnic sashes will be approved through the Office of Spiritual Formation and Diversity. Personal embellishments on caps/gowns will not be allowed, including flower or money leis. Commencement regalia can be purchased through the FPU bookshop and online through Jostens.com.
Entrance and Parking
- The main entrance for guests is located at the northeast end of the arena.
- The closest parking is directly behind the Selland Arena off O Street, with an additional parking garage at the intersection of O Street and Inyo Street. Parking is $10 per vehicle and it is cash only.
- Metered parking on the streets will also be available. The price to park at a meter is $1.50/per hour.
- We encourage you to have a prearranged meeting location to meet your friends and family following the ceremony. This will help your family and friends find you in a timely manner following the ceremony.
- Hooding will not take place during the commencement ceremony.
- Hooding ceremonies will all take place for all schools on Friday evening, May 3 on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University. The seminary hooding ceremony will take place separately from the other schools at their annual Seminary Gala but is also held on Friday evening, May 3 on the main campus. Specific information for the hooding ceremonies will be sent out by each school.
Line Up Times and Location
- All participants are to line up in Valdez Hall. Please see map for location of Valdez Hall in relation to Selland Arena. Line up promptly by 8:45 a.m. Doors to the line up area in Valdez Hall will open at 8:15 a.m.
- All candidates should be in their commencement regalia & wearing their hood (master’s candidates only); B.A. candidates wear tassels on the right and M.A. candidates wear tassels on the left. Name cards will be available for pick up when you line up.
- Candidates will need to leave purses and other personal items with guests/family members. There will be no secured area to store these items during the ceremony.
- Candidates will be lined up according to the school in which their program is in. Programs fall into one of the following: School of Business, School of Education, School of HRSS, Schools of Natural Sciences and Biblical Seminary. Please familiarize yourself and be aware with what school your specific program is in.
- Only service animals are allowed at commencement. Persons with pets or emotional support animals will not be permitted to bring in their animal. In order to avoid stress on the day of commencement, you may choose to contact Melinda.Gunning@fresno.edu or (559) 453-2247 to answer questions about your service animal in advance. .
Commencement Tickets and Seating
- Doors will open at 8:30 a.m. and the ceremony will start promptly at 10:00 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. No tickets are required.
- Candidates will be seated on the floor of the arena by the school in which their program is in. To allow candidates and guests the opportunity to know in advance which side of the arena floor the schools will be seated on, this layout shows which schools will be seated on the west side of the arena floor and which will be seated on the east side.
- No balloons or glass vases are permitted in the arena. Please plan accordingly. Air horns and other noise makers are not allowed.
- The Fresno Pacific Bookshop will have flowers and FPU merchandise available for sale prior to the ceremony.
- For your family and friends unable to attend, the ceremony will be streamed live and available for viewing by visiting http://fresno.edu/live.
- If you are part of the Twitter or Instagram community tweet us and tag us using #fpugrad
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the dignity of the commencement ceremony, distractions will not be tolerated. Adults or children who display disruptive behavior will be asked to leave the main arena, and escorted out if necessary. If parents choose to bring infants or young children, it is advised that they sit on the aisles with easy access to an exit. Seating and a live feed of the event will be set up on the concourse on the east side of the arena for guests who need to leave the main seating area.
Special Needs Seating and Translation Services
- Guests in need of a sign language interpreter should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 to make arrangements as soon as possible and no later than April 19.
- Guests in need of Spanish translation services should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 by April 19 to request services. Reservations are highly recommended to ensure enough headsets will be available.
By Campus Candids, pics4u.com
Professional photographers will photograph each candidate receiving his/her diploma from the president and at the bottom of the stairs following each student’s recognition on stage. Each candidate will receive a 1x1-inch proof photograph in the mail about two weeks following the ceremony and will be able to order enlargements. For safety reasons, family and friends must take photographs/videos from their seats.
Posting of Degrees
Four to six weeks after degree requirements are met
Completed degrees are posted to transcripts following the completion of all degree requirements and a final evaluation by the Registrar’s Office. The final evaluation process may take up to one month following the last term in which coursework was taken.
Available after degrees are posted
Only diploma covers are given to students at commencement. Diplomas are mailed approximately 4-6 weeks after degrees have been posted to transcripts, and when all FPU financial obligations have been met. They will be mailed to the address indicated on the application for degree.
Please review this document to view the full list of items prohibited from entering the arena. Guests found in possession of the mentioned items will be asked to remove the item from the venues or dispose of it. Guests who refuse to comply will be ejected from the venues and may be subject to arrest.