The spring commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 5 at 10:00 a.m. at Selland Arena for traditional undergraduate, degree completion and graduate students. Hooding ceremonies will all take place on Friday evening, May 4 on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University. Specific information for the hooding ceremonies will be sent out by each school.
No rehearsal is scheduled. Please read the following instructions.
LocationSelland Arena, Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center
700 M Street
Fresno, CA 93721
NEW BAG POLICY
The Fresno Convention Center has implemented a new bag policy which will impact those attending commencement. Only approved bags will be permitted in the arena.
Approved bags are those no larger than 12”x 6”x 12”. Diaper bags are allowed. Backpacks are not allowed. Bags will be searched upon entering the arena by convention center staff. Please let your family and other guests know so they can plan accordingly.
Commencement Regalia (apparel)
All participants must purchase their own
- Regalia (cap, black gown, tassel and hood, if applicable) may be purchased at Fresno Pacific Bookshop beginning in April. The hours are 9:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- Regalia may be purchased at each regional campus from Fresno Pacific Bookshop in April. Check the postings at your regional campus in mid April for specific dates and times.
- Jostens will be at Fresno Pacific Bookshop on the main campus February 27-28 and March 21-22 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Jostens will have announcements, class rings and other items for you to view. Order announcements early! You can preview products and order announcements now at jostens.com.
- The FPU bookshop carries a variety of alumni product and diploma frames, as well as announcements and class rings made available through Jostens. Find everything at fresnopacificshop.com.
- Students should pick up regalia early since the gowns come packaged and will need to be ironed or steamed.
- Please be aware that you will be walking down an outside ramp and up and down stairs, so appropriate shoes are highly encouraged. For women, pointed heels or stilettos are highly discouraged.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the dignity of the event, and out of respect for your fellow graduates, their families, your faculty and all involved in this ceremony, personal embellishments on caps and/or gowns will not be allowed. The university will have hats in a variety of sizes at the ceremony for any graduate who shows up with an adorned hat.
Entrance and Parking
- The main entrance for guests is located at the northeast end of the arena.
- The closest parking is directly behind the Selland Arena off O Street, with an additional parking garage at the intersection of O Street and Inyo Street. Parking is $10 per vehicle and it is cash only.
- Metered parking on the streets will also be available. The price to park at a meter is $0.75/per hour.
- We encourage you to have a prearranged meeting location to meet your friends and family following the ceremony. This will help your family and friends find you in a timely manner following the ceremony.
- Hooding will not take place during the commencement ceremony.
- For all M.A./M.S./MBA degree candidates, hooding ceremonies will take place on Friday evening, May 4 at 7pm in the Special Events Center on the main campus of Fresno Pacific.
- Specific information on hooding ceremonies will be sent by the various schools.
Line Up Times and Location
- All participants are to line up in Valdez Hall. Please see map for location of Valdez Hall in relation to Selland Arena. Line up promptly between 8:15 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
- All candidates should be in their commencement regalia & wearing their hood (master’s candidates only); B.A. candidates wear tassels on the right and M.A. candidates wear tassels on the left. Name cards will be available for pick up when you line up.
- Candidates will need to leave purses and other personal items with guests/family members. There will be no secured areas to store these items during the ceremony.
Commencement Tickets and Seating
- Doors will open at 8:30 a.m. and the ceremony will start promptly at 10:00 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. No tickets are required.
- No balloons or glass vases are permitted in the arena. Please plan accordingly. Air horns and other noise makers are not allowed.
- The Fresno Pacific Bookshop will have FPU merchandise/apparel available for sale prior to the ceremony.
- For your family and friends unable to attend, the ceremony will be streamed live and available for viewing by visiting http://fresno.edu/live.
- If you are part of the Twitter or Instagram community tweet us and tag us using #fpugrad
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the dignity of the commencement ceremony, distractions will not be tolerated. Adults or children who display disruptive behavior will be asked to leave the main arena, and escorted out if necessary. If parents choose to bring infants or young children, it is advised that they sit on the aisles with easy access to an exit. Seating and a live feed of the event will be set up on the concourse on the east side of the arena for guests who need to leave the main seating area.
Special Needs Seating and Translation Services
- Guests in need of a sign language interpreter should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 to make arrangements as soon as possible and no later than April 20.
- Guests in need of Spanish translation services should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 by April 20 to request services. Reservations are required to ensure enough headsets will be available.
By Campus Candids, pics4u.com
Professional photographers will photograph each candidate receiving his/her diploma from the president and at the bottom of the stairs following each student’s recognition on stage. Each candidate will receive a 1x1-inch proof photograph in the mail about two weeks following the ceremony and will be able to order enlargements. For safety reasons, family and friends must take photographs/videos from their seats.
Posting of Degrees
Four to six weeks after degree requirements are met
Completed degrees are posted to transcripts following the completion of all degree requirements and a final evaluation by the Registrar’s Office. The final evaluation process may take up to one month following the last term in which coursework was taken.
Available after degrees are posted
Only diploma covers are given to students at commencement. Diplomas are mailed approximately 4-6 weeks after degrees have been posted to transcripts, and when all FPU financial obligations have been met. They will be mailed to the address indicated on the application for degree.
Transcripts are the official proof of your degree