The fall commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. at Selland Arena for traditional undergraduate, degree completion and graduate students. Hooding ceremonies will all take place for all schools on Friday evening, December 13 at 07:00 p.m. in the Special Events Center on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University. Specific information for the hooding ceremonies will be sent out by the various school.
No rehearsal is scheduled. Please read the following instructions.
LocationSelland Arena, Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center
700 M Street
Fresno, CA 93721
NEW BAG POLICY
The Fresno Convention Center has implemented a new bag policy which will impact those attending commencement. Only approved bags will be permitted in the arena.
Approved bags are those no larger than 12”x 6”x 12”. Diaper bags are allowed. Backpacks are not allowed. Bags will be searched upon entering the arena by convention center events staff.
Commencement Regalia (apparel)
All participants must purchase their own regalia
Regalia (cap, black gown, tassel and hood, if applicable) is to be purchased online here for undergraduate, graduate and degree completion students. Regalia will be available for purchase the Jostens website and at the bookshop on the main campus beginning September 16. For bachelor’s degree candidates, regalia must be purchased online by November 22 to ensure delivery in time for commencement. For master’s degree candidates, regalia must be purchased online by November 8 to ensure delivery in time for commencement. Regalia that still needs to be purchased after the dates listed above will only be available for purchase at the bookshop on the main campus. To purchase regalia online please visit the Jostens shop.
- Announcements can be ordered through Jostens. You can preview products and order announcements now at jostens.com. If you chose to order announcements, we highly recommend you order them early! Jostens will be on the main campus in the bookshop with class ring options to view on October 2 - 3 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and November 5 - 6 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The FPU bookshop carries a variety of alumni product and diploma frames, as well as announcements and class rings made available through Jostens. Find everything at fresnopacificshop.com.
- Please be aware that you will be walking up and down stairs, so appropriate shoes are highly encouraged. For women, pointed heels or stilettos are highly discouraged.
Important Note: Due to the dignity of the event, and out of respect for your fellow graduates, their families, your faculty, and all involved in this ceremony, personal embellishments on caps and/or gowns will not be allowed. The university will have hats in a variety of sizes at the ceremony for any graduate who shows up with an adorned hat. Only approved academic cords or medallions are permitted to be worn with the regalia.
Entrance and Parking
- The main entrance for guests is located at the northeast end of the arena. Please see map insert for details.
- The closest parking is directly behind the Selland Arena off O Street, with an additional parking garage at the intersection of O Street and Inyo Street. Parking is $10 per vehicle and it is cash only.
- Metered parking on the streets will also be available. The price to park at a meter is $0.75/per hour.
- We encourage you to have a prearranged meeting location to meet your friends and family following the ceremony. This will help your family and friends find you in a timely manner following the ceremony.
- Hooding will not take place during the commencement ceremony.
- For M.A./M.S./MBA/Seminary degree candidates a hooding ceremony will take place on Friday evening, December 13, at 7:00 p.m. in the Special Events Center on the main campus of Fresno Pacific. Tickets are required to attend this event.
- Specific information for the hooding ceremonies will be sent out by the various schools.
Line Up Times and Location
- All participants are to line up in Valdez Hall. Please see map for location of Valdez Hall in relation to Selland Arena. Line up promptly by 8:45 a.m. Doors to the line up area in Valdez Hall will open at 8:15 a.m.
- All candidates should be in their commencement regalia & wearing their hood (master’s candidates only); B.A. candidates wear tassels on the right and M.A. candidates wear tassels on the left. Name cards will be available for pick up when you line up.
- Candidates will need to leave purses and other personal items with guests/family members. There will be no secured area to store these items during the ceremony.
- Candidates will be lined up according to the school in which their program is in. Programs fall into one of the following: School of Business, School of Education, School of HRSS, Schools of Natural Sciences, and Biblical Seminary. Please familiarize yourself and be aware with what school your specific program is in.
- Only service animals are allowed at commencement. Persons with pets or emotional support animals will not be permitted to bring in their animal. In order to avoid stress on the day of commencement, you may choose to contact Melinda.Gunning@fresno.edu or (559) 453-2247 to answer questions about your service animal in advance.
Commencement Tickets and Seating
- Doors will open at 8:30 a.m. and the ceremony will start promptly at 10:00 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. No tickets are required.
- No balloons or glass vases are permitted in the arena. Please plan accordingly. Air horns and other noise makers are not allowed.
- The Fresno Pacific Bookshop will have flowers and FPU merchandise available for sale prior to the ceremony.
- For your family and friends unable to attend, the ceremony will be streamed live and available for viewing by visiting http://fresno.edu/live.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the dignity of the commencement ceremony, distractions will not be tolerated. Adults or children who display disruptive behavior will be asked to leave the main arena, and escorted out if necessary. If parents choose to bring infants or young children, it is advised that they sit on the aisles with easy access to an exit. Seating and a live feed of the event will be set up on the concourse on the east side of the arena for guests who need to leave the main seating area.
Special Needs Seating and Translation Services
- Guests in need of a sign language interpreter should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 to make arrangements as soon as possible and no later than Friday, November 29.
- Guests in need of Spanish translation services should contact the Student Life Office at 559-453-2073 by Friday, November 29 to request services. Reservations are highly recommended to ensure enough headsets will be available.
By Campus Candids, pics4u.com
Professional photographers will photograph each candidate receiving his/her diploma from the president and at the bottom of the stairs following each student’s recognition on stage. Each candidate will receive a 1x1-inch proof photograph in the mail about two weeks following the ceremony and will be able to order enlargements. For safety reasons, family and friends must take photographs/videos from their seats.
Posting of Degrees
Four to six weeks after degree requirements are met
Completed degrees are posted to transcripts following the completion of all degree requirements and a final evaluation by the Registrar’s Office. The final evaluation process may take up to one month following the last term in which coursework was taken.
Available after degrees are posted
Only diploma covers are given to students at commencement. Diplomas are mailed approximately 4-6 weeks after degrees have been posted to transcripts, and when all FPU financial obligations have been met. They will be mailed to the address indicated on the application for degree.
Transcripts are the official proof of your degree
Submit transcript requests to the Registrar’s Office. Visit fresno.edu/transcripts for more information.
All FPU financial obligations must be cleared prior to FPU mailing out official transcripts. Not paying a balance or clearing financial holds will delay receipt of your transcripts.
Unofficial transcripts are only available through Sunbird Central sc.fresno.edu for 6 months after your degree has posted. Students are encouraged to save a copy of their unofficial transcripts before losing access to Sunbird Central.
Please review this document to view the full list of items prohibited from entering the arena. Guests found in possession of the mentioned items will be asked to remove the item from the venues or dispose of it. Guests who refuse to comply will be ejected from the venues and may be subject to arrest.